Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Free Bird
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Hey, my bike is broken too.....I can't get my left knee down as easy as my right. I think it's off balance, with incorrect air quality in the tires:crash

BTW, go to the mechanical section of the Forum for appropriate tech help:fact
Are you that bored? to where you find threads to be a smart ass on? instead of trying to actually help someone out.. smh..

·
Is it f'n time yet.....
5,695 Posts
Are you that bored? to where you find threads to be a smart ass on? instead of trying to actually help someone out.. smh..
Not at all bro, I really feel your pain:thumbup

Here, this make you feel better:

http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/gtsearch.php?cx=partner-pub-7865546952023728:c4nb8amkb45&cof=FORID:11&ie=UTF-8&q=exup+valve+adjustment&sa=Search&siteurl=www.r1-forum.com/forums/index.php#1467

BTW, you are absolutely correct. There are no smartass' around here and I was completely out of line.

Did you put summer air in your tires?
Shiate...that's it. I still have winter air in the tires. Thanks Buck.:flex:

·
Klaus Von Slowpoke
5,763 Posts
Ok.. so I went outside to the shop.. took the fairin off just now.. My two cables going to the ex up valve connecting the headers to mid pipe, were kinda loose.. I could wiggle them with my hand pretty easy.. they weren't quite loose enough to take off. But like I said I could wiggle them pretty good.. Im not sure how tight they are suppose to be. I took two photos.. One of the actual exup where the cables are.. and one of where I'm assuming you adjust the tension on the cables. Also found this write up on how to adjust them. But it's almost like another language to me. lol maybe someone can help me understand by making a mark on my picture of what hole he is talking about lining up.

Adjusting the EXUP cables on that bike is easy:

Remove EXUP valve pulley cover (down on exhaust pipe).
Turn on main (ignition) switch and watch for EXUP valve pulley to move, then turn switch off.
If the EXUP is properly adjusted, the pulley will come to rest with the fork on the pulley positioned directly over a small hole in the EXUP housing, and the further away from this it is, the further out of spec it is.
If it's way off, loosen the lock nuts and twiddle the EXUP cable adjusters and dial in plenty of slack.
Using a suitable pin that fits snugly into that EXUP housing hole, line up the pulley fork with the hole by using the pin to hold the pulley in place.
Turn the cable slack adjusters evenly in the opposite direction until you feel the slack removed from both cables.
Turn both slack adjusters back in a half-turn (this will allow just enough slack in the cables so they won't bind).
Tighten slack adjuster lock nuts.
Remove pin holding pulley in place.
Install EXUP pulley cover.

Those are the steps for adjustment, though on my bikes, I'll go further by removing the actual EXUP valve from the pipe, lubricate the pivoting bearing surfaces (and the little connecting arm between the upper and lower EXUP valves on your 2003 model), reinstall the valve, then adjust as written above.
A+ for posting pics - you're my new best friend...
I'll try and help but... I've been drinking. If you had my job, you'd drink too.
The pic with the EXUP valve? I've indicated the alignment hole and corresponding fork with a yellow arrow:

They seem to be in alignment - that's good, but the cables seem to be really loose (they may not be opening the EXUP valve properly).
Stick a small hex wrench or framing nail or nail set (etc.) through the fork into the alignment hole while you adjust the cables.
The adjusters, in your picture:

Loosen the larger, locknut adjuster (yellow arrow) on both cables and tighten the tension on both cables with the barrel adjuster (blue arrow), per the excellent instructions that you included, then tighten the locknut again.
Hope this helps, I'll check again tomorrow (probably) and see if it makes sense to me.

·
Free Bird
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
bsgesch!!! you are the man!! lol thanks for the help!!! and I dont blame u.. Im on my 3rd Bud light 24 oz can. haha

·
Is it f'n time yet.....
5,695 Posts
bsgesch!!! you are the man!! lol thanks for the help!!! and I dont blame u.. Im on my 3rd Bud light 24 oz can. haha
Aaaawwww....Uncle Brent IS da man. Thanks for hooking the noob up. You do know your '02/'03s inside and out:fact
(p.s. calling you in a couple Brudda. Let's talk Vodka:hammer:)

·
Free Bird
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I'll take being a respectful noob/newbie over being a douche bag anyday of the week.. Dont get it.. u act like this is a Red Sox forum and Im on here screaming go Yankees.. We're both R1 enthusiasts.. so why be a dick.. :nforc:

·
Free Bird
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
ok.. so I came back out to the shop.. I tightened them up.. they got right much tigther then what they were.. hoping didn't go to tight. but i went by instructions and got em pertty damn tight then backed it off a half a turn each... here is a pic of after.

·
Klaus Von Slowpoke
5,763 Posts
Damn, you're quick! All I've done in the intervening time is... make another cocktail.
Let us know what/if the the improvement is. At least you're now in spec and familiar with the adjustment. :thumbup
Cheers brotha!

·
The Lead Farmer
25,425 Posts
I'll take being a respectful noob/newbie over being a douche bag anyday of the week.. Dont get it.. u act like this is a Red Sox forum and Im on here screaming go Yankees.. We're both R1 enthusiasts.. so why be a dick.. :nforc:
I'm a noob and a douche bag, it's alright, well known here. But calling some of the guys here the same thing shines poorly on the true noobs and douche bags.

Now if I were a product of the class of October 2010, things would be different. I'd be forced to take all the rebuke this forum could muster, then go home and eat my gun.

As far as not being able to get it up, it's either lack of testicular fortitude, you've porked up, or something on the bike has changed. Did you put new tires on it? change gearing? Bad tank of gas?

·
Free Bird
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Damn, you're quick! All I've done in the intervening time is... make another cocktail.
Let us know what/if the the improvement is. At least you're now in spec and familiar with the adjustment. :thumbup
Cheers brotha!
haha.. It's on my mind.. I just bought this bike and want it to run right.. I will test it out first thing in the morning to see if it makes a difference or not. hopefully it will.. thanks again!

·
Free Bird
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I'm a noob and a douche bag, it's alright, well known here. But calling some of the guys here the same thing shines poorly on the true noobs and douche bags.

Now if I were a product of the class of October 2010, things would be different. I'd be forced to take all the rebuke this forum could muster, then go home and eat my gun.

As far as not being able to get it up, it's either lack of testicular fortitude, you've porked up, or something on the bike has changed. Did you put new tires on it? change gearing? Bad tank of gas?
I just bought the bike saturday. Didn't really try to do wheelies on it until today... But it's most def not due to lack of testicular fortitude. hahaha.. I normally walked all my wheelies out at atleast a qtr mile long. and I sit down when I do mine.. I cant get down with the standing up wheelies. I also shift gears 2nd-4th while walkin em.. I have been away from bikes for the past 3 1/2 years.. But Grew up on two wheels at the age of 4 on a Honda Z50.. and never looked back.. lol.. it's gotta be something mechanical, not testical. lol Photo of me on my 06 CBR 1000.

·
damn turkeys
29,378 Posts

he's just giving you shit for fun man. you have to have thick skin around here.

·
A guardrail ate my right leg..
3,852 Posts
Also I don't know if it was mentioned or not but some people truly just don't know. When checking the EXUP valve adjustment the ignition should be on so the EXUP servo is in operating position. I know on my '07 at least when you turn the switch off the little pulley there will move about a quarter inch. I'm pretty confident that's your problem though.

·
Free Bird
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Also I don't know if it was mentioned or not but some people truly just don't know. When checking the EXUP valve adjustment the ignition should be on so the EXUP servo is in operating position. I know on my '07 at least when you turn the switch off the little pulley there will move about a quarter inch. I'm pretty confident that's your problem though.
Thanks.. I turned the switch on like the instructions said.. hopefully it will all work out. and possibly solve my problem.. if not.. oh well guess no wheelies.. cause im not about to dump a large amount of cash in it no time soon. lol Thanks again.

·
Is it f'n time yet.....
5,695 Posts
I just bought the bike saturday. Didn't really try to do wheelies on it until today... But it's most def not due to lack of testicular fortitude. hahaha.. I normally walked all my wheelies out at atleast a qtr mile long. and I sit down when I do mine.. I cant get down with the standing up wheelies. I also shift gears 2nd-4th while walkin em.. I have been away from bikes for the past 3 1/2 years.. But Grew up on two wheels at the age of 4 on a Honda Z50.. and never looked back.. lol.. it's gotta be something mechanical, not testical. lol Photo of me on my 06 CBR 1000.

I'm truly sorry and feel horrible. You sir are a stud and I apologize for my misconduct as a douche bag. I will now refer to you as "Wheelie King". Because gawd knows that's how I test my new bikes and I just can't figure the process out. Good on ya mate and my foul:)

·
Free Bird
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Yea maybe you should check with a mod and see if it's possible they change my display name to Wheelie King instead of CTmoneyR1... :)

21 - 40 of 64 Posts
About this Discussion
63 Replies
21 Participants
zl936c
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing