Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
XSuROsISX
1,377 Posts
Well this new bike that I have.. (03 R1) with 13-1 compression.. runs nice.. but for some reason when I pop the clutch in 2nd gear to pull up a wheelie is just wont do it.. The bike is stock height, isn't stretched. I havent noticed the clutch slipping or anything. What in the world could be the problem? Ive owned several bikes from 00 and 01 R6's ZX6's... to ZX9's, ZX10's, CBR 1000's... and have never had a problem at all pulling it up in 2nd gear when popping the clutch on any of them and walking a good qtr mile wheelie. Could something be wrong with my clutch? I mean the bike doesn't feel weak.. but it sure wont come up in 2nd. Thoughts?
Shit man I could clutch bounce mine at 75 in 5th, you are definatly doing shit wrong, mines an 01

·
Free Bird
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Shit man I could clutch bounce mine at 75 in 5th, you are definatly doing shit wrong, mines an 01
it isn't me. my buddy came by on his 01 CBR 929 about a year ago.. and I had been off bikes for about 2 years at that time.. I jumped on his bike and walked it instantly with a 2nd gear clutch bounce, easily. And I had never even rode his bike before.. It's mechanical.. and Im praying it's that ex up. and ive fixed it.

·
I eat my chicken stripes
1,987 Posts
Well this new bike that I have.. (03 R1) with 13-1 compression.. runs nice.. but for some reason when I pop the clutch in 2nd gear to pull up a wheelie is just wont do it.. The bike is stock height, isn't stretched. I havent noticed the clutch slipping or anything. What in the world could be the problem? Ive owned several bikes from 00 and 01 R6's ZX6's... to ZX9's, ZX10's, CBR 1000's... and have never had a problem at all pulling it up in 2nd gear when popping the clutch on any of them and walking a good qtr mile wheelie. Could something be wrong with my clutch? I mean the bike doesn't feel weak.. but it sure wont come up in 2nd. Thoughts?
Sounds like lack of power?

My '08 powerwheelies on 2nd and occasionally on 3rd, stock gearing ^^

·
I eat my chicken stripes
1,987 Posts
If you chop and open the throttle on 2nd, does it come up?

·
Free Bird
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
If you chop and open the throttle on 2nd, does it come up?
When Im in first and run it pretty hard and hit 2nd the front wheel might come up just a little, and when im alreday in 2nd and try just popping the clutch it wont do anything.. and Ive done wheelies on slow ass 00 ZX6's by poppin the clutch in 2nd. lol got me scared something could be majorly wrong. Wondering if i should be checking the compression in each cylinder.

·
over da hump.....
3,256 Posts
it isn't me. my buddy came by on his 01 CBR 929 about a year ago.. and I had been off bikes for about 2 years at that time.. I jumped on his bike and walked it instantly with a 2nd gear clutch bounce, easily. And I had never even rode his bike before.. It's mechanical.. and Im praying it's that ex up. and ive fixed it.

ya but the 929 is a whellie monster... i thought it had to do with the way the rear suspension is set up. i THOUGHT it absorbed the power and put the power to the ground and kept the front tire close to the ground but thats just my opinion. i had a cbr954 and just a flick of the wrist it would stand up. but ive never been able to get my 04 up without the clutch. i even let a buddy of mine try it when i first got it and he couldnt either. just get used to the bike youll figure it out.

·
Is it f'n time yet.....
5,695 Posts
ya but the 929 is a whellie monster.....just get used to the bike youll figure it out.
Uh...well hellz yes. 3 days owership of Wheelie King.:dundun:

kirk can't change names, shane has to take care of that :fact :lol
Damn you Rory...just when I though Kirk had super duper powers:crash
Hey Spidie...."Wheelie King of the Universe":fact

·
Booya
34,507 Posts
It's not your exup...it's you.

Your bike, even 'broken' will make significantly more hp than say a 500 or even a 600....yet people wheelie those all the time. It's a different bike, different setup, rear suspension might be different than your last, etc, etc...it's not the bike.

·
Free Bird
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #56 (Edited)
Im back, after my morning test ride.. and im all :) because tightening those loose ass ex up cables actually worked.. now Im getting it up in 2nd and 3rd easily.. So it wasn't me, it was the bike.. Im guessing the flaps or whatever were getting stuck and wasn't allowing all the HP to flow right. No mechanic, but that'd be my guess. Thanks for the help

·
I eat my chicken stripes
1,987 Posts
Sounds about right. Welcome back to the fun-faire :D

·
Free Bird
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
awesome glad to hear the great news!!! I was about to take the saws all to my EXUP now I wil just tighten the cable :saw:
yea man tighten that thing up real good.. As you can see in my two photos of the before and after.. the difference in how loose my cables were and how snug they look in the 2nd photo.. it helped alot!!

Before

After

41 - 60 of 64 Posts
About this Discussion
63 Replies
21 Participants
zl936c
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing