Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Faster than a speeding ticket
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No matter how much I say that I'm not going to do wheelies (i'm a big scardy cat). But then I fill the urge again to power it up in 1st. I mean its the best feeling floating on one wheel but I'm more use to flying at 155mph or hitting twisties). One quick question, when you power it up in second do you have to pull on the bars or can you just do the off and on method?

· Arrrrrrrrrggggghhhhh!
113 Posts
It depends on how your bike is running, whether you have dropped your forks or not and how much you weigh!

My mate can wheelie his r1 just on power really easily in 2nd. Just get to about 60mph, ease off the throttle then floor it. But, he is using standard suspension settings and he weighs about 50lb less than i do.

Mine wont easily power up in 2nd unless i really slam the throttle shut & open at about 6 or 7k and really really yank on the bars. I have the forks lowered by about 10mm and have raised the back end slightly. I also have ditched the exup on mine for my full akro system. I find its so unpredictable at trying to power up in 2nd that i tend to use the clutch more to get the front up.

· Premium Member
6,305 Posts
yeah, more precise timing is needed when you wheelie in 2nd or in 3rd on power.

I never shut the throttle.. I just keep the throttle position and bounce the bike and as the bike rebounds I just give a little more throttle.

· R1-suits *you* sir.
8 Posts
Wheely

Most of the time I can just bring it up on the power in 2nd. One thing I tried was to sit back slightly and upright then open the throttle hard at about 4k in 2nd. When it get to 6 or 7 it starts to come up nice and progressively and you can just let it keep coming. Doesn't always work reliably that way though, mostly I back it off slightly then open it hard at about 6 I guess. Things is, being a mechanically sympathetic geeser I've always hated either clutching it up or snatching it open when the bikes decelerating under engine braking cos this is not nice to the poor thing. So the R1's pukka for it.

Never hurts to give it a tug though eh. The bike, that is.

Compared to what I was like on my 'Blade, I'm a wheelie meister on the R1 cos it makes it so easy (I'm a bit of a wheelie scardy cat myself).

· Faster than a speeding ticket
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanx for all the help guys. Do I have to stand up to bounce it or can I stay sitted. And whats the difference in flicking, feathering and dumping the clutch.

· you can't have my last beer
3,583 Posts
Man Swedie we really need to get a how to section ya know. Guess we are all too lazy huh? Have you ever received any submittals for a faq section? I wouldn't mind writing something up, but I think there are those out there that know more about it (wheelies) than me.

· I eat your R1
1,034 Posts
damm

today i tryd nd tryd and tryd and all the time when i clutch it the bike makes high noise cuz of the rpm then i confrontate the bike with the rpm.... nothing happend..

my bike is cursed ! :mad:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.