Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 04 R1 thati bought at a auction. now i find out that the bike is not from california and i already tried registering it and the DMV and the bikes odomiter says it has 5617 miles on it. i didnt know about the 7500 mile rule when the DMV did the vin verification so now its in the computer that the bike has 5617 miles on it. I was wondering if i just change my airbox out with one that has the california emissions label on it from ebay and take it to DMV do you guys think it would pass

· Klaus Von Slowpoke
6,237 Posts
You want me to do a few track days on it for you? I can get it to the 7500 mile threshold and never put it on a public road... :crash

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
the problem is that i didnt know about the 7500 mile rule and went to try to register the bike.so when they verified the vin ad engine number they also took down the mileage do u think swapping out the airbox and putting one in with the cali emissions label will work please give me your honest opinons

· Premium Member
39,036 Posts
nope too late... In the system now. Sell it to someone who can register out of state like oregon. Register it there. Get Oregon plates, add 2k miles and then sell it back to you. Of course the bike never leaves. :sneaky:

· Premium Member
39,036 Posts
Don't make it obvious:lol

Sell to a friend then back to a friend in Cali. Or just pick a cali frame and swap the parts.

· my R1 gets me high!
616 Posts
Try getting the airbox cover with the emissions labels and then have the vin verified with CHP. If the officer signs it, all you have to do is pay for registration at the DMV. I had to go through this when I moved back to Cali even though my bike was purchased here. They just verify the VIN, Engine no. and look for the EPA and emissions decal. Hope it work out for you.

· For no ma'am
2,615 Posts
I don't get why 2000 miles is an issue, First off you could easily do that in a weeks time. Heck I put 1600 miles on my RSV4 in 5 days riding to the Dragon and back. Second do you think some indifferent person at the DMV will give a crap one way or another if it was a realistic feat? Somehow I don't think they're going to apply to the 3 year detective school program at Hogwarts in order to come back and investigate you.

I'd tell them you left it in your driveway on a stand, running for three days straight to get the appropriate mileage. Tell them now there is new hole in the goddamned ozone layer above your house because you went all Ferris ****ing BUELER on those goddamned laws. Then call him or her a bitch and slap you paper down on the counter...I mean that's how i'd do it.

· I'm an Englishman in WI.
33,912 Posts
I don't get why 2000 miles is an issue, First off you could easily do that in a weeks time. Heck I put 1600 miles on my RSV4 in 5 days riding to the Dragon and back. Second do you think some indifferent person at the DMV will give a crap one way or another if it was a realistic feat? Somehow I don't think they're going to apply to the 3 year detective school program at Hogwarts in order to come back and investigate you.

I'd tell them you left it in your driveway on a stand, running for three days straight to get the appropriate mileage. Tell them now there is new hole in the goddamned ozone layer above your house because you went all Ferris ****ing BUELER on those goddamned laws. Then call him or her a bitch and slap you paper down on the counter...I mean that's how i'd do it.

Now we're talking :lol

· Thread killer...
2,551 Posts
You are stuck in a typical CA catch 22 law... Motorcycles are not even inspected or smog checked...

Your best bet is to find a set of gauges with fairly low miles (more than 7500, but not much more). Ideally you can find someone who has their R1 torn apart currently and can just loan you their gauges for a week.

Otherwise, just put 2k miles on it, especially if you have a current out of state plate. You can get away with that for months, sometimes years as long as you don't park in public or draw attention to yourself.

· Premium Member
39,036 Posts
Y'all don't understand. He already showed up and now his bike info is in the system. If he changes anything now, he'll have to explain in legal detail how the discrepancies happened. This stupid law was put in place because our neighbor state Oregon doesnt charge sales tax.

· I am the vanilla gorilla!
18,251 Posts

:lol This^

· Klaus Von Slowpoke
6,237 Posts
Y'all don't understand. He already showed up and now his bike info is in the system. If he changes anything now, he'll have to explain in legal detail how the discrepancies happened. This stupid law was put in place because our neighbor state Oregon doesnt charge sales tax.
I'd say that I loaned it to a guy in Vegas so he could ride it and add the necessary miles, since Nevada isn't such s nanny state...
Or, that I rode it at a bunch of trackdays, since a bike does not have to be registered to ride on the track. Best legal solution, IMO.

· Thread killer...
2,551 Posts
There should obviously be an exemption for 10 year old vehicles with less than 7500 miles. I doubt there is a huge migration of Californians flocking to Oregon to buy new cars/bikes and then store them for 10 years to avoid the sales tax. :D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.