Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to remove the shear bolts from the upper triple of my 2004 R1. I've had absolutely no success so far. I don't care about the old ignition because it has an intermittent short that causes the motorcycle to shut off randomly.

These bolts just won't budge.

First I drilled into one of the bolts and attempted to use a #1 screw extractor. I got the screw extractor in pretty far but ended up breaking it off in the bolt.

Next I tried using a chisel and punch to rotate the bolt. It didn't move.

The next day at work (which is today) I started to grind the ignition off, but realized that I would still have to deal with the bolts after, so I used the grinder to make slots for a flathead screwdriver. They didn't budge.

I tried using kroil oil and letting it sit for an hour –the bolts wouldn't budge.... even when I used a vise and adjustable wrench for torque.

I used a heat gun to head up one of the bolt housings, still wouldn't budge.

I have no idea what to try next. Even if i grind off the ignition and leave the bolts intact, I doubt i'd have any better luck trying to unscrew them from the shafts
Motor vehicle Bicycle part Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Rim

· Registered
2,195 Posts
they have loctite in there so you aren't getting it out like that. i typically centre punch then use a large drill bit to just drill till the cap pops off. the ignition will come off and then you are left with the exposed bolt threads. put it into a vice with soft jaws and apply heat with a propane torch and use vice grips on the thread thats exposed there should be plenty.

· Registered
26 Posts
Yeah man. I feel you. I tried heating to no avail. I decided to just use another top yoke with a new ignition. Decided this was one battle that wasn't worth it. If I buy anything to help to get those out why not just a new top yoke, was my thinking. Not much more money. There are actually some really cool aftermarket top clamps on ebay for like $50. I can attest they align and work properly. Would look brand new and stylish. Or just get someone else's.

· Registered
1998 R1
51 Posts
I have been trying to remove the shear bolts from the upper triple of my 2004 R1. I've had absolutely no success so far. I don't care about the old ignition because it has an intermittent short that causes the motorcycle to shut off randomly.

These bolts just won't budge.

First I drilled into one of the bolts and attempted to use a #1 screw extractor. I got the screw extractor in pretty far but ended up breaking it off in the bolt.

Next I tried using a chisel and punch to rotate the bolt. It didn't move.

The next day at work (which is today) I started to grind the ignition off, but realized that I would still have to deal with the bolts after, so I used the grinder to make slots for a flathead screwdriver. They didn't budge.

I tried using kroil oil and letting it sit for an hour –the bolts wouldn't budge.... even when I used a vise and adjustable wrench for torque.

I used a heat gun to head up one of the bolt housings, still wouldn't budge.

I have no idea what to try next. Even if i grind off the ignition and leave the bolts intact, I doubt i'd have any better luck trying to unscrew them from the shafts
View attachment 1027883
I've used screw extractors......drill it , warm it up , seat the extractor, and remove them ...... they can be a hassle .

· Premium Member
2012 YZF - R1
117 Posts
They make a very wonderful tool. it allows you to strike it with a hammer, and during this same instance, the tip of it twists. I believe this will save you.

· Premium Member
'08 R1
314 Posts
Yeah, now that I think about it, I drilled them out. Then i cut the metal off where the ignition was on the triple clamp with a grinder using a metal cutting disc. Turn bike on now using Woodcraft ikeyswitch elimination harness. Here is pic of final result.

Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive design
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motorcycle Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle
Motor vehicle Light Automotive design Automotive fuel system Automotive tire

· Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I ended up using a dremel with a grinder attachment to grind the ignition off of the bolts (since the ignition was malfunctioning and thus not needed). Unfortunately I had to use wireless dremels since that is all i had access to (unless i wanted to purchase one), and the batteries kept dying on me.

After cutting the ignition off I was still left with the bolts which wouldn't budge. I ended up setting my kitchen oven to 550 ºF and put the upper triple in for 7 minutes to heat up.

The triple was about 430 degrees or so when I took it out of the oven and the screws came out with relative ease at that point with a flathead screwdriver

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Auto part Gas Engineering

1 - 14 of 14 Posts