Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey have you seen those really cheap ass intakes and mufflers called Bomz on Ebay??? Well I was thinking of doing a lil bit of modz on my car and i was looking on e-bay for some stuff and i ran into the 30$ intake that some ppl are selling. Well I know its an off brand but does anyone know anything else about these??? Thinking of trying it out since its just 30$. Really dont want to mess up my car. :dunno

·
I am craving sushi.
4,302 Posts
It'll make your car run 12's. Be careful and make sure you get a spoiler so you keep the car on the ground.

Sorry....just messing with you. I haven't seen it. What kind of car do you have? In my opinion keep it stock but it's your car.

·
INVICTUS
14,902 Posts
Seriously I would'nt waste my time on an intake unless I was doing more than a little bit of modding to my car. Most of the aftermarket intakes draw air from right next to the radiator , negating any extra velocity by sucking up hot air. The cheapest intake mod you could do would be to drill the airbox on the side next to the quarterpanel and get a K&N drop in filter. If you're serious about mods then get an cold air intake tube only then get a K&N filter and fabricate a heat shield facing the radiator. Also if you get a K&N filter remember to oil it first before using it.As far as the exhaust , don't fall for the old muffler trick. Get a true catback system designed for the flow characteristic of your car. This will give you maybe 3-4 hp if your lucky but it'll save you the money the marketers try to rape out of you by claiming you get 20hp from their products. Of course this is all said without knowing what kind of car you have. I'm pretty much a VW & Honda Tuning nerd. Serious power gains come from forced induction , nitrous and displacement. Of those displacement is the most stable, nitrous is the cheapest and forced induction ( ie Supercharging/ Turbocharging ) is the most expensive.

·
Señor Citizen
20,232 Posts
Cold air induction is a wrought unless you have a intake that is HUGE! Simple rules, Cheap Mods aren't good and Good Mods aint Cheap! Please tell me you don't drive a car with a smaller displacement then a 40 Oz bottle of swill. You want to have a chat about go-fast and cars. Lets have a chat, but I never heard of a 30 quid mod that make a lick of difference. Heat wrapping the exhust is a good idea IF you have extractors et al, C.A.I is good to if you have a 2 inch high 4 foot long mouth and a 2 inch round neck at the throttle end. RAM = stuffing lots of air into a small part.

What we did to a friend Turbo 2 litre was make up a mail slot intake outta sheet metal, run it to an oversized throttle body. This made no difference until he was flat out in top cog. More Cold air = better detenation as cold air is dense and is better! that's why turbo car/none turbo cars generally go fast better when its cold.

If you want to make HP no matter what you run V8 V6 F4 S4 head work is HP. Nothing beats Cubes mind you but Heads will make HP.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts