Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 R1 and my motor is out of my bike right now because I'm rebuilding the whole bike. My bike runs great but my carbs need to be adjusted alittle because the bike does not idle as good as it should. Can I bring my carbs to somone to adjust them off of the bike, or do they have to be on the bike? I'd imagine that they would have to be on the bike, but I wasnt sure if there was a way to do them off.
Also would it be worth puting a jet kit in them? I only run a slipon, but if a jet kit is worth the money I might as well put it in while the carbs are out.

·
Banned
31,510 Posts
idle synching needs to be done on the bike (running). and get an a/f dyno readout to see if you 'need' jetting.

·
Wicked Clowns NEVER Die
150 Posts
Some shops will have a motor in shop to just that. Look into the shops around your area and ask if thay have a motor in shop ?? and if thay can do it for you? good luck.

·
Premium Member
13,935 Posts
Some shops will have a motor in shop to just that. Look into the shops around your area and ask if thay have a motor in shop ?? and if thay can do it for you? good luck.
Bloody hell, wish I had that luxury at my shop...

I used to use a vacuum-type machine with adaptors being put on loose carbs to balance them when I worked for Kawasaki UK, but don't think you'll find anyone with them easily outside of the huge places. It was very rarely used in all honesty as it took longer to setup than just to put the carbs back on the bike and ready it for balancing that way...

·
burnin' up the streets
8,783 Posts
Bloody hell, wish I had that luxury at my shop...

I used to use a vacuum-type machine with adaptors being put on loose carbs to balance them when I worked for Kawasaki UK, but don't think you'll find anyone with them easily outside of the huge places. It was very rarely used in all honesty as it took longer to setup than just to put the carbs back on the bike and ready it for balancing that way...
wouldn't the individual differences in each intake tract (carb, port, valve) & even the flow through the combustion chamber itself cause differences in the synchronization of the carbs (or throttle bodies as the case may be)?

I mean you could set them identical mechanically by them selves & then put them on the motor & still have them out of synch because of the potential flow differences between cylinders.

or am I mistaken?

·
Moderator - In Memorium
24,167 Posts
wouldn't the individual differences in each intake tract (carb, port, valve) & even the flow through the combustion chamber itself cause differences in the synchronization of the carbs (or throttle bodies as the case may be)?

I mean you could set them identical mechanically by them selves & then put them on the motor & still have them out of synch because of the potential flow differences between cylinders.

or am I mistaken?
Not at all mistaken. There are temperature differences between cylinders and that alone presents an issue.

Best done on the motor.

·
Premium Member
13,935 Posts

or am I mistaken?
Yes mate, I do agree. We used that bit of kit more for a teaching aid for when dealers sent their new spanners on courses with us. Some of the guys did use it to set carbs up on it quite often, but I could never be bothered with the hassle. So many different adaptors and crap...

I must admit I didn't think too much about the 'off-bike' effects at the time because of not liking the equipment, but you make perfect sense to me there... :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.