Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A PM question just triggered this, so here we go:

Well, I mentioned it in the fender-eliminator thread, but won't hijack said thread and rather open my own.
I have built my own "fender eliminators" on past bikes (I think the one for the 05 R+ was documented on here) and the 2015 R1 for sure needs to have some work done there.
So I am currently designing my own fender eliminator.

I thought it's time to share my thoughts and listen to potential good ideas that might come up.
Here is the design constraints:
1) Should work for EU license plates (200mm high at max 30deg from vertical) without interfering with the rear wheel when at the "fully up" position, although my own Swiss plate luckily is smaller. I plan to do a limited production on those.
2) Must have reflector and license plate illumination
3) Must protect the passenger from spray (the "wings" on the stock device have that purpose imho)
4) Made from carbon

I did some sketching to find the proper position.
Here is what I came up with so far. Drawing is one thing, seeing it on the bike is something else.
So I am going to glue together a design piece from PVC sheets, just to get a visual impression.
I will then judge if the result is optically appealing or if I will discard the "EU plate" requirement to get some more freedom to design "under the tail".
(Yellow = EU license plate / Red = Swiss license plate, the US one would be much smaller, Blue = Reflector)

Attachments

· Registered
1,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Goal of the PVC "prototype" will be to play a bit with different license plate positions.
Quite frankly I don't like the fender eliminators that put the license plate right under the tail light. The tail seems to be too short then.
But that's personal taste and "guessing how something might look" is different from seeing it.
Input / opinions / suggestions are welcome, that's why I opened this thread right now, although I can't work on this yet for another week.

· Registered
1,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Got this feedback by PM:
The plate angle could probably be made adjustable.

That's the intention anyway.
I am also looking into ways how to vary the position (various length extension arms, what is only a function of the final CNC cutting program).

The key here is the wing. Many have already removed the passenger pegs, so splash may not be an issue for some. The wings need to be made more reminiscent of a formula 1 spoiler and will be central to the rear profile.
:thumbup
Problem is that F1 spoilers are "multipart" (side plates), something that I need to avoid for reasons of complexity.

The side profile flow of the lines organic and horizontal, not dipped down. Kind of more like a motocross rear fender arch. The transition and molding onto the mounting point will be another focus point for the side profile.

Yeah, my sketch doesn't cover this kind of detail yet. I was mainly seeking the license plate position and general arangement.
It is one of the advantages of carbon that I can stay "organic" and follow the "design language" of the bike.
I shall post a sketch that is closer to the idea "designwise" later.

· Registered
1,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, here a rough design sketch.
I "drafted" the wings in a slightly different color. The idea is to bend the tips down at about 45°, to make sort of a winglet.
This really needs to be "built in 3D" to see what works and what not.
But the side view of the fender is about right.

Attachments

· Registered
1,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Hi Kevap

If I have any intention to sell, I'll be glad to do so via this channel.
For the time being I am not offering this for sale, nor will I publish any contact.
I'd have to set up a webstore then anyway and have some banner advertisement...

For the time being and in first place, it is a project just for my personal R1 (like all the past fenders). Only in second place it is a "test baloon" to find out if there is any interest at all that would justify to even think about producing more than one or two, without big desire to make "producing fenders" a living. ;)

Cheers

Juerg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.