Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Carbon VS. Plastic

730 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  EZDoesIt 
#1 ·
My 01 needs new bodywork all around to make it perfect again(bought it wrecked). the cost of all new stock plastic and a tank is pretty close to aftermarket QB carbon carbon bodywork. My question is once the carbon bodywork is painted, is the weight savings significant? or should I just put it back stock?

#2 ·
Assuming the same thickness then the CF parts should be about 30 - 40% lighter than ABS before paint depending on the quality of CF used. Standard plain weave carbon fiber has an approximate cured density of 0.6 g/cc while ABS has a density of about 1.03 g/cc. Hope this helps.:thumbup

#3 ·
yup, answered my question exactly. thankyou.:hellobye

#5 ·
Well I just totalled up my options, and for me to make my 01 a beautiful "faster" vivid cocktail red, or to make it a qb carbon R7/1 the price comes out within 3 dollars of eachother. looks like I'll have a carbon R7/1 by spring. :rock

#6 ·
oh, after its pretty, and handling well comes the graves/tiforce/akropovic(haven't decided yet) exhaust, keihin flat slides, thin head gasket, and qb carbon ram air box...that should put me in line with the 06's.:sneaky

#7 ·
pkracer21j said:
Well I just totalled up my options, and for me to make my 01 a beautiful "faster" vivid cocktail red, or to make it a qb carbon R7/1 the price comes out within 3 dollars of eachother. looks like I'll have a carbon R7/1 by spring. :rock
:rock

#8 ·
EZDoesIt said:
Assuming the same thickness then the CF parts should be about 30 - 40% lighter than ABS before paint depending on the quality of CF used. Standard plain weave carbon fiber has an approximate cured density of 0.6 g/cc while ABS has a density of about 1.03 g/cc. Hope this helps.:thumbup
Check that. I was WAAAAYYYYY off. I re-ran my calcs and cured CF has an approximate density of 1.5 g/cc while ABS plastic seems to have a density between 1.03 - 1.20 g/cc. Therefore for the same thickness CF will actually be heavier than ABS. I'm assuming, though, that CF parts are in general slightly thinner than ABS parts. If I'm wrong in that assumption let me know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.