Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 198 Posts

·
90% INDESTRUCTABLE
15,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought this 01 as a commuter/wifey/track/rain bike, in early 08. I knew it had a dodgy 2nd gear, but it was too cheap to pass up, and I'm a sucker for a pretty blue face!

I gave it a thorough service and refresh and put it to work, and it was fine until Christmas 09. Then one day on my commute home from work, I was trundling along in 5th when a woman in a Beemer came flying out of a carpark in front of me. I hit the brakes and she drove off oblivious to the world around her. It was 40 C (105 F), it was 2 days before Christmas, I had been working my arse off and I was fairly vague....

I went to take off from my emergency stop in 5th! The bike jumped out of gear and went bang crunch rattle rattle. I tried going up and down the box and was able to select gears. I was 3 minutes from home, hot tired and now fvcking exasperated....so I rode home.

I shouldn't have.

I knew I'd damaged the gearbox, but I didn't know how bad it was. I put it down the shed, pulled my sad old Fail Bladder out and put it back into active duty.

A long while later, I stripped the bike down, pulled the motor out and dismantled it from the bottom up. The damage was extensive. 2nd gear (which meshes with 5th) had lost one side of all it's teeth. All those teeth had gone through the gearbox, jamming themselves between other gears. The only gear that was undamaged was 1st.

I got all the gears and bearings, selector forks, a water pump, a stator and clutch plates (also stuffed), and all the assorted gaskets and do dads, new from MR Cycles. And with the help of a mechanic, rebuilt the whole lot.

While it was motorless, I started offering up bits of 06 R1 that were cast offs from my endurance styled build. I knew from the forum experts, that the 06 triple clamps fit into the 01. This meant that every thing else from the 06 front end I had lying around, could also go on.

The forks, faded Graves bars & damper clamp, clutch perch, faded CRG levers, master cylinder, tygon hose & reservoir. I had to shorten the posts on the underside of the top yoke, so that the steering lock lined up when the ignition barrel was fitted.

The front mudguard that I had cracked with a disc lock (It took me 20 years of riding before I did that!). The front wheel and rotors, brake calipers and Goodrige hoses. I bought a pair of axles and nuts from a wrecker for $50.

This was the easy bit, everything fit no problems. :)

·
90% INDESTRUCTABLE
15,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Round at the back things got a bit confusing...

The 01 has a 245mm brake rotor. The 06 has a 220mm one. The calipers are very different and couldn't be swapped on the hangers. And neither of the hangers were giving me the correct wheel spacing.

So I asked the forum Gods for a miracle...and was told to try a 2002 caliper and hanger. I got one for....you guessed it...$50 from a wrecker.

I used an 06 left side wheel spacer, an 06 wheel, rotor and sprocket, an 01 right side spacer, and an 02 caliper and hanger, in the 01 swingarm.

Now you see why I was confused!

I offered up the faded purpling Graves rearsets that I'd taken off the 06.

The right side fit perfectly, using the 01 master cylinder, the 06 reservoir and hose.

The left side fit perfectly too, but it wasn't until I got the motor back in, that I could see whether I had enough clearance for the shift rod...

I tried the 06 shock absorber for size. It's the same dimensions exactly...except for the position of the reservoir.

Which hits the boxed section of the swingarm, reducing the travel by half....

So it was out with the new, and in with the old...for now.

The motor was finished, I put it back in and discovered that the shift rod hit the upper edge of the hole through the frame. So I got my trusty Dremel out and enlarged the upper edge by 10mm.

The oem muffler was off an earlier model and didn't fit properly, that, and it was fugly and heavy! So I got a $200 Delkevic shorty and link pipe, and a Harris bracket which was a bit more expensive...at $60!

·
90% INDESTRUCTABLE
15,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Mechanically, everything was sorted. It ran and rode beautifully. The turn in was quicker, but the front was more planted. Under hard acceleration the bars waved more than before, but 2nd gear was working like it never had, so that was testing the stability. I have yet to do something with the shock, but it's next on my list.

Next up were the cosmetics...

The 01 was in fairly good shape, but little things like 06 indicators and mirrors helped freshen it up a bit. I got a Zero Grav screen as well.

I took an alloy ring from around an old door lock, painted it black and siliconed it to the top yoke...

Redgecko saved the day with an OEM bracket for the brake reservoir. Cheers man.

I fitted a manual fan switch to one of the fairing inner panels.

And wrapped all the black plastic bits in DiNoc vinyl.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
sweet build of an older bike. definatly worthy of a refresh

·
My R1 thinks she's a Twin
847 Posts
Wow, man, thats lovely. I love my 01CLE
Mike

·
90% INDESTRUCTABLE
15,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So the fantastic thing about having two R1's, is that as you upgrade one, you have no choice but to upgrade the other....

The OEM 06 fasteners and backing plates went on....

The cast off Braking waves went on...

And the Accumen gear indicator.

And that's about where I'm at with the sisters...

·
90% INDESTRUCTABLE
15,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
90% INDESTRUCTABLE
15,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Mike.:)

·
847 Posts
I must say though, i do love your 06R1. Do you have a link to any more pics of that beauty?
Mike

·
90% INDESTRUCTABLE
15,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
847 Posts
Thanks bruv, i was just reading your "Carbonar1's Endurance Style R1" thread, very nice indeed, Seriously makes me want to start looking at 06's lol
Mike

·
90% INDESTRUCTABLE
15,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
They're a magic bike. I can't give you an honest comparison because of the mods, but they're a much smoother and easier ride, with a belting top end. I wouldn't get rid of the old girl though....it takes much more thought and effort to go anywhere near as fast, which I love. :)

·
847 Posts
Did you mean the 01 when you said that you "Would get rid of the old girl?"

·
90% INDESTRUCTABLE
15,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Did you mean the 01 when you said that you "Would get rid of the old girl?"

WHOOPS! :shake Edited! I'm a klutz...I meant wouldn't get rid of the 01. I love 'em all! :lhumper:

Bro your shed is off the chain, i need! couple of saweet rides too B :bow :thumbup
Cheers mate. I made that myself too, frame and all ! All up it cost me $1600. :thumbup

·
847 Posts
I thought that's what you meant. There are so many things i love about the 01 but i really want a newer R1 as the modifications are very limited on the 01 now that its an "older" bike. Things like ohlins suspension and decent exhaust systems are like hens teeth(super rare)

·
90% INDESTRUCTABLE
15,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I thought that's what you meant. There are so many things i love about the 01 but i really want a newer R1 as the modifications are very limited on the 01 now that its an "older" bike. Things like ohlins suspension and decent exhaust systems are like hens teeth(super rare)
Or rockinghorse shit...:lol

1 - 20 of 198 Posts
About this Discussion
197 Replies
43 Participants
AndyR71
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing