Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
9,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taken from superbikeplanet.com

The CBR1000RR Superbike that will be seen at Daytona will feature a slightly more aerodynamic fairing. DuHamel, for one, is hopeful that the bike may top 199mph at the Speedway. "It's possible," he said several weeks ago. :eek:

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
heres what happens when u push it too hard...,:lol

Attachments

·
Mad Scientist
555 Posts
I think the CBR1000 in race trim will easily hit 200!!! I think most of the liter bikes will too. I don't think it would take much for my bike to hit 200! This is going to be a crazy year, I bet.

·
Beating a dead horse.
4,011 Posts
SPZ510 said:
I think the CBR1000 in race trim will easily hit 200!!! I think most of the liter bikes will too. I don't think it would take much for my bike to hit 200! This is going to be a crazy year, I bet.

Maybe the race bikes, but certainally not the bikes sold to the public. The Hayabusa which is far more aerodynamic couldnt hit 200 MPH so i doubt the new liter bikes would either in stock form. It takes a huge amount of power to be able to push a bike through the 200 MPH abrrier. Look at the GP bikes, they have 240 HP and their top speed is around 200-210 MPH. Also there is the Gentlemens agreement to think about, no bikes made by the japs are suppose to exceed 186 MPH because of the electronic limiter.

·
Banned
9,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
redneck1089 said:
Also there is the Gentlemens agreement to think about, no bikes made by the japs are suppose to exceed 186 MPH because of the electronic limiter.
Actually I believe it's 185mph. And the word is Japanese thanks.........:sneaky

·
pavement tester....
7,270 Posts
dude, 170 is freaking fast on a bike. I cant imagine adding 30mph to that.

I'm sure on the banking at Daytona those puppies will hit 200

·
three two two
124 Posts
redneck1089 said:
Maybe the race bikes, but certainally not the bikes sold to the public. The Hayabusa which is far more aerodynamic couldnt hit 200 MPH so i doubt the new liter bikes would either in stock form. It takes a huge amount of power to be able to push a bike through the 200 MPH abrrier. Look at the GP bikes, they have 240 HP and their top speed is around 200-210 MPH. Also there is the Gentlemens agreement to think about, no bikes made by the japs are suppose to exceed 186 MPH because of the electronic limiter.
I am sure that the GP bike could go faster, but their speed is limited by the tracks that they race on and not the hp or aerodynamics.

Put the Honda or Ducati MotoGP bike on the banks of Daytona or even a straight line speed run and I would bet that they top 220+ mph (just a guess)

·
Mad Scientist
555 Posts
redneck1089 said:
You talk about the "200 MPH Barrier" like it's a hard step to take. The only barrier that I know of when talking about speed is the sound barrier where your pushing a wall of air until you break past it, which is why so many pilots crashed when triing to break it. But at 199 MPH there is no such wall of air or barrier, it's just another number. It's no harder to accelerate from 199-200 than it is 200-201. And if a stock CBR1000 can hit 192, as the mags say, then it is probably only 15-20hp and gearing away from 200. It takes 4 times the power to go twice as fast, so you can do the math. I think it should be close, maybe 25hp, and for any of these bikes 25hp is no big deal. I could put an extra 25hp into any bike over 750cc in a day or two.

·
Beating a dead horse.
4,011 Posts
I'm going to quote the fast bike magazine here

"You see, because the relationship between speed and aerodynamic drag is not linear, the additional power required to push a bike through the air at 17 MPH faster from 183 MPH is huge."

·
Mad Scientist
555 Posts
I know, it's exponential, but you speak as though it's a tough thing to get past. I think it would be easy for many of these bikes.

·
Beating a dead horse.
4,011 Posts
well if you ever make it to a speed over 200 MPH let me know how hard the bike pulled once you got to 185MPH.

the bike Fast Bikes tested was the Kawasaki ZX12r, so if that can't do it, then I'm sure the new crop of liter bikes would have difficulties doing it also. I'm guessing that the new 1000cc bikes will all top out around between 185-190 MPH unlimited

·
Mad Scientist
555 Posts
redneck1089 said:
well if you ever make it to a speed over 200 MPH let me know how hard the bike pulled once you got to 185MPH.

the bike Fast Bikes tested was the Kawasaki ZX12r, so if that can't do it, then I'm sure the new crop of liter bikes would have difficulties doing it also. I'm guessing that the new 1000cc bikes will all top out around between 185-190 MPH unlimited
I remember riding my friends 00' R1 and it pulled hard all the way to 165! The most I had it to was 171.
Only time will tell. And I do in time expect to top this bike out. Unfortunatly all I can tell you guys is the indicated speed, which if I truly am going 200 I'm sure the speedo will say something like 210 or maybe more and I'm sure if I see that it's goig to make me want to back off quickly. I think the best way to do it would be with a radar gun and the speedo taped up. Seriously looking at a 200 mph speedo would rattle my nerves. I saw 185 on my old 1100 but at that time I was used to hitting 160 everyday, but that was along time ago and a whole different feel.

·
Mad Scientist
555 Posts
Hey remember, I'm not sure which one, but the magazines that used to do the yearly "Heavy Artillery" and "Top Speed" articles back in the 90's? I remember some asian guy who used to be an Air Force pilot or something that had RB racing put a turbo on his Gsxr1100 and I think fuel injection. His pushed 208. And then there was the Hahn RaceCraft gsxr that went 223.???. I wonder what kind of power those bikes made?

·
Banned
9,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
SPZ510 said:
I remember riding my friends 00' R1 and it pulled hard all the way to 165! The most I had it to was 171.
Only time will tell. And I do in time expect to top this bike out. Unfortunatly all I can tell you guys is the indicated speed, which if I truly am going 200 I'm sure the speedo will say something like 210 or maybe more and I'm sure if I see that it's goig to make me want to back off quickly. I think the best way to do it would be with a radar gun and the speedo taped up. Seriously looking at a 200 mph speedo would rattle my nerves. I saw 185 on my old 1100 but at that time I was used to hitting 160 everyday, but that was along time ago and a whole different feel.
That 00' R1 you are trying to top out is near it's max stock potential. You may have two mph or so left in it. So don't be sad if you can't go faster on it because that's it!

Now onto your 1100, assuming it's a GSXR. I had one and it's top speed in stock trim was about 165 mph. On the dyno after some minor mods, it only hit 172mph.

And yes, never believe the stock speedo.

·
ccs#191
1,070 Posts
redneck1089 said:
I'm guessing that the new 1000cc bikes will all top out around between 185-190 MPH unlimited
The 1000rr alread hit 192 at daytona , or did you meen unlimited as is governed

·
Beating a dead horse.
4,011 Posts
I dont think that CBR was stock tho. And besides, it will be limited to 185 MPH on the street version anyways...so its kinda a pointless arguement

·
Mad Scientist
555 Posts
I'm not really sure what "unlimited" means except that maybe it's not factory limited which is why ******* is speaking of the 185 limiter, but does anyone know if this is a fact. Does my bike have a 185 mph limiter? Usually a vehicle is gear limited and it bounces off the rev limiter in top gear, drag limited where it never reaches the redline do to the wind pushing it back, or electronically limited by the factory. And just because you are drag limited does'nt mean you don't have enough ponies, you could be lacking traction.
So far I've only been able to get to 157, indicated, so I have a ways to go. That 2000 did'nt pull as hard as mine so at that speed it did'nt take as much of my concentration away and courage for that matter. It just feels out of control at that speed. The front end is real light and holding yourself forward is hard to do without griping the bars, which result in an unsteady front end. I want to scoot back in the seat to take advantage of the rear seat but I'm afraid that the front end will get too light. I'll have to work up to that 185 slowly and letcha all know.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts