Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Beating a dead horse.
4,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was installing some Dynomite carbon fiber tanksides and one of the little clips that hold it to the tank broke off on the left side.

I've tried using JBweld to glue it back on, but because of the coating on the tank sides the surface is too slick and the JBweld won't bond properly.

Does anyone know what I could use to glue this thing back on permanently?

· Cheating death in the "D"
21,182 Posts
if that doesn't work call Matt at Dynomite he'll tell you exactly what you need to do :thumbup

whats with the foam backed tape? sure that isn't part of the problem . . . maybe there isn't enough clearance with the tape on for a good fit with the clip & mating part :fact

· Beating a dead horse.
4,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
if that doesn't work call Matt at Dynomite he'll tell you exactly what you need to do :thumbup

whats with the foam backed tape? sure that isn't part of the problem . . . maybe there isn't enough clearance with the tape on for a good fit with the clip & mating part :fact
I shot Matt an e-mail about it, he still hasn't got back to me. I think I'll be okay though--it's on my bike now and it's holding up really well thus far.

The foam is actually from the stock tanksides. I'm paranoid about anything scratching my tank...so I just used a little silicone and put em on! :crash There's still enough clearance.

I have a bone to pick with you, though, Ron. I've ordered so much damned carbon fiber this winter from the places you've told me about that my bank account is going to be recovering well into 2009! :p I really gotta stop checking out your threads! Your taste in quality parts is second to none. :)

· Cheating death in the "D"
21,182 Posts
I have a bone to pick with you, though, Ron. I've ordered so much damned carbon fiber this winter from the places you've told me about that my bank account is going to be recovering well into 2009! :p I really gotta stop checking out your threads! Your taste in quality parts is second to none. :)

its hard not to justify it thou when your sitting in the garage starring at all the new bits on her thou :hammer:

· Wicked Clowns NEVER Die
150 Posts
Buy a fiberglass repair kit from the local autozone or whatever and when get that, sand the area then cut 2 wicked small strips out of the glass patch, the size of the prongs there and while your mixing up the resin put a drop on the mating sides of the prongs, and the area about 1/4 out then lay the fiber glass ontop and paste the resin on, wait for a sec and paste another layer all around both prongs????. Give it a day to dry....i don`t know, works for me what ever. *poof*:vanish

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.