Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 887 Posts

·
Administrator
31,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Some of you know that during the convention last week forum member and close friend Chad Clifton was in a motocross accident that broke several of the vertebra in his back. During his hospital stay Chad developed some blood clots that appear to have caused of series of heart attacks and strokes that ultimately led to his passing away today June 25, 2008 at 1:30 PM.

Chad and one of the greatest people I've ever met one, he was the person that I talked to everyday in my life. Between the two of us we organized the convention every year and he's been there for many of us when they needed him time and time again. We are all heartbroken over this, one of my best friends is now passed but he will NEVER be forgotten.

To refer back to the injury updates thread its located here: http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=236581

I'm going to take up a collection to put together a Memorial Box for Chad that I would include a glass window to display his race suit, a few pictures of Chad and some of his favorite things. Our close friends at the Cross Roads at Deals Gap have graciously offered to dispaly this box for us (thanks Brad, Ben and everyone at the CROT your guys are awesome)! With the remaining funds the small groups of us that are close to Chad will release the rest of the funds to his family members to aleviate costs for funeral, travel or work expenses.

Please send any donations to my paypal account:

[email protected]

Include in the heading of the payment and or in the the notes. Donation for Chad Clifton, Your full name, address, telephone/cell # and screen name.

Visitation: Saturday at McKoons from 5 to 8 http://www.mckoon.com/

Service: Sunday at First Baptist Church at 3:30 http://www.fbcnewnan.org/about us/Directions.htm

Thanks for your thoughts, prayers and help (everyone)! This has been incredibly trying on everyone and in particular Chad's very close friends we are at an incredible loss right now.

Extremely Saddened

-Shane

I encourage everyone to post up there pictures and condolences for Chad I'm going to leave the thread on the main page section to maximize exposure.

Chad:

You are gone but never forgotten! Our lives have all been touched by your's each day. TO have known you was truly an honor, to call you a brother and to have shared in your life was a gift from GOD. I know you are in a better place right now and I'm going to miss you more then words can ever express.

We've had tears of joy and sadness too, but nothing can explain the bond that was YOU! You tought me how to be FAST and I tought you how to be CLEAN. Together we formed the ULTIMATE TEAM!

Ride on brotha like only YOU CAN! Look after us all from above. Your friend and brother forever! SO FAST SO CLEAN! I LOVE YOU!

-Shane

He's that big old ham that everybody loves. He made everybody feel like they were his close friend. I never saw him get down.
He was telling me about his last race and I asked him how the weekend went. He said," it was good, I got to race which is what I wanted to do" but the reality was that he had just crashed recently at Road Atlanta at a trackday, had to fix his bike all the way back up and then blew his engine at the race he was telling me about. If that would have been me I would have been totally disgusted, mad and probably a little hostile if someone asked me how my race went. Not Chad, "it was good"
Also, you could always tell if Chad was around when you pulled up to the paddock or at the Gap because you could hear that big old loud laugh ring out above the noise of the crowd.

He was so good at everything he did, it seemed easy for him. I used to be faster than him when we first started riding but he surpassed me in no time flat. When I found out that he was so good in golf and baseball, I knew it would only be a matter of time before he had the bike mastered. In recent times at the track, I used to love those few seconds I got to see him from behind right after he passed me, running on a worn out rear tire and kicking it a little sideways as he powered out of the corner. He would be giggling about it later.

Those bigger than life personalities are the ones that seem to get snatched away from us early.
No wonder we are so stunned.

Even my wife Robyn has grown to love the big ham from the time we have all spent together at the track.

Thank God he has been redeemed by the sacrifice of his savior and is resting in a place of glory better than any beautiful summer trackday there ever was.

-Eddie

·
Super Moderator
45,315 Posts
Shane, I don't know if you saw it in my last post in the other thread, but I've got a full woodshop in my back garage and would be honored to build the display case for his leathers/memoribilia. Use all the donations for his family.

·
Administrator
31,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That sounds incredible Kirk make it big enough for a full suit, make a bunch little picture frames and have some places for memory type stuff.

They guys at the CROT said they'd be honored to display it!

·
Citius, Altius, Fortius
1,151 Posts
Shane if you want i can donate a digital picture frame and memory card as well.
Not sure if it would fit in with the display but this way you can have a scrolling display of pictures. Just a thought.

·
11,739 Posts
Money on the way.

My first year at the convention I was pretty slow. (not VooDoo slow, but slow) and I saw Chad flying through the corners like he was glued to the road. I went up to him in private and asked him how to go faster and he said, "easy, don't go out wondering if you're gonna crash, go out wondering how you can have fun." :thumbup I've gotten faster every year since. RIP brother. You will be missed.

·
Shane loves........me
10,207 Posts
Sounds awesome Shane & Kirk :) I know Chad is SEVERLY missed already :(:(:(

Love the avatar Shane! I can picture him saying "Shane, you want me to teach you to be fast and clean?" :lol

·
Who's Ya Daddy??
6,004 Posts
Damn...What the heck. I dont even know what to say. I am so sorry for his family, I cant even fathom the loss they must be feeling right now.

Chad, I am really going to miss you man. Godspeed to you

·
GODSPEED Chad
5,434 Posts
Funds sent.

·
Super Moderator
45,315 Posts
That sounds incredible Kirk make it big enough for a full suit, make a bunch little picture frames and have some places for memory type stuff.

They guys at the CROT said they'd be honored to display it!
I think one thing that would look really good in the display, and is instantly recognizable as "Chad" would be the Red Bull 570 number plate off of his Motard. along with the picture of him completely sideways backin' it in from last year's convention.

·
GaWarrior Brotherhood
1,999 Posts
I think one thing that would look really good in the display, and is instantly recognizable as "Chad" would be the Red Bull 570 number plate off of his Motard. along with the picture of him completely sideways backin' it in from last year's convention.

oh yea! now you're talking!

·
A Little BRIT Different
1,027 Posts
Shane, well said, Kevin and Eddie, thanks, This is a tough time for all of us and its awesome, once again to see us all come together as one, I am privelaged to be a part of this close knit community.
I will be in touch Shane, see ya soon Buddy
Martyn

·
Administrator
31,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Shane, perhaps we could use the donation money to help with racing activities. Perhaps a scholarship to a riding school(Jamie James) or donation to the Air Fence fund?

After we offer it to the family we can surely have a vote amongst contributers as to setting up a fund in that regard.

Please spread this post to the other forums. They are trying to setup the funeral for Saturday if possible. We will not know until tommorow.

·
INVICTUS
14,903 Posts
A really good friend .

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Anybody going to the funeral from North or South Carolina please send me a PM. I don't want to ride all by myself.

Chad, R.I.P.

After we offer it to the family we can surely have a vote amongst contributers as to setting up a fund in that regard.

Please spread this post to the other forums. They are trying to setup the funeral for Saturday if possible. We will not know until tommorow.

1 - 20 of 887 Posts
About this Discussion
886 Replies
148 Participants
Super_Dave_344
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing