Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

4,112 Posts
02EP3 said:
this might be as good a time as any to ask this...

is there any trick to lubing your chain and not have a ton of lube from flying off everywhere that first ride? I give my chain a good shot of lube then take a rag and try to get off as much excess as I can. No matter how much effort I give it, still greasey oil everywhere everytime!

I have a feeling this might just be one of those things since I haven't figured out a way around it yet. Damn you cyntrifical force! If you found the secret method, do tell.
Get good quality lube like PJ1. THere is another lube that is good, I think it's called Bel-ray, but it goes on white. THe PJ1 goes on clear and dries pretty sticky. Make sure you put it on a warm chain though. THe only problem I have with PJ1 is that both cans I've used like to leak when you are spraying it, and it gets all over your fingers. I use a chain brush that came with cleaner (about $15) to clean the chain, but I've started using WD40 too with a rag, and wrap the rag over the top and bottom side of the chain and run it back and forth to wipe down all the rollers. Either have your bike on a rear stand or just push the bike to advance the chain to clean the other parts.

4,112 Posts
02EP3 said:
What is the consitency of that PJ1? The chain lube i have (i forget what brand it is...hmmm) is more like WD40 in viscocity. But when i put on a new DID chain it was lubed with something more like a white lithium grease. Is that what the PJ1 is like?
Bel-Ray looks like white grease. The PJ1 is clear, and dries kind of shiny. It comes out a little thicker than WD40, but once it's dry, it feels kind of like a melted lollipop, really sticky, but just a thin coating.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.