Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone...

I'm was adjusting my chain today, and like the manual said, i looked for the tightest spot and adjusted from there.

so i tighten my chain to spec, and noticed that other parts of the chain is still very loose. what is going on? my bike has 17k miles on it, do you think it needs a new chain?

if i were to get new chains and sprockets, what do you guys recommend?

DID x-ring?
should i go up and down on sprocket size?
I don't do wheelies, but might try to do some later on... but i'm mostly into riding the twisties.
What kinda of chain/sprocket combination should i get and where can i get them from?

thanks.
khoa

·
Formley known as slutty
5,183 Posts
in the nmiddle of the swing arm you should have about 2 inchwes of free play (up and down) this will tighten when you sit on it ...

17,000 miles you should get a new chain every 10K you will lose horsepower the more wear on a chain you have.

DID X are a good brand thats waht I have and am very satisfied. DID a 520 conv. went up one in the rear accelerates great and easy to do wheelies but didnt lose alot of top end.

hope this helps

·
Beeeeeer!
9,542 Posts
MR_GIXXER_MAN said:
:confused: Like you are going to notice a power loss :lol
You won't notice the loss but you will notice the gain when it's replaced.

There will be mixed views on the 520 but I like mine. If you like the twisties add at least 2 to the rear or I went -1f, +2 R.
but you need a new chain and it is good to replace the sprockets at the same time or it will cut down on the life of your new chain.

·
mmmmm...black bike
1,856 Posts
Big Daddy said:
A complete new setup is in order (chain & sprockets) weather you choose a 530 or 520 do try the +2 rear.

BD

I am -1 on the front and it is pretty responsive. I think it would be better however with +2 on the rear sprocket as well ;)

·
Formley known as slutty
5,183 Posts
MR_GIXXER_MAN said:
:lol
Ok since you are talking HP...show us your dyno run, want to compare??:finger

:lol
Dyno's are a waste of time and money. Of course there going to be different ya know your at sea level Im not your on the west coast Im on the east Dynos are so variable their only good for getting a baseline on your bike, but come on we all know it comes down to the rider.

Lets not turn this thread into a sewing session where all we do is bicker about one anothers over H.P. bike

I was simply stating earlier that since your chain is the link between the powerplant and the wheel You would want to keep it in primo shape. And if you have a chain with Kinks, Rust. and is streched out like your grannies panties. you might want to invest in a new one.

:cool:

·
Registered
117 Posts
the chain will wear unevenly. It may be tight in one section yet loose if you rotate some more...you need a new chain...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts