Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for an after market set up (or someone who can make a custom set up) that will allow me to rotate the position of my brake lever downward.

I cannot tolerate the stock position. And I do not believe the stock equipment can be moved or modified to suit me.

Surely there must me some racer-dude company out there who can porvide me with a fix or make me something custom? And surely there are others out there like me who find the stock set up too uncomfortable.

Any info will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Mark

·
Old enough to know better
179 Posts
Have you tried taking the throttle off and repositioning it above the brake lever. Thats what I did on my 02. This will allow the brake lever to rotate down a little further, as it will no longer hit the throttle cables. Might just be enough to solve your discomfort. My cables worked fine in this position. Just be sure to rotate the steering back and forth to make sure there's no binding or tension on the cable.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rotten,

As it happens, I was hanging around the service bay of the dealership yesterday and, while discussing the matter with a mechanic there, he suggested the same thing. I was afraid that the OEM throttle cables might not be long enough, but you have answered that question brilliantly. Thank you 1,000,000 x.

Just one question: There is a nub in the housing for the throttle cable. It mates into a hole in the OEM handlebar. It makes it so that the throttle cannot rotate out of position by accident. Did you file or Dremel that nub off? If so, did it cause any problems? If not, what did you do?

Again, thanks.

Mark

P.S. I'm judging by your post that moving the cables in the way you suggest did _not_ cause any clearance problems with the fairing. ¿Verdad?

·
see you at the races and ride
3,906 Posts
this is how I did mine:
clutch side- drill new hole for switch pod 1/4" closer to bar end, slide clutch all the way to left and file corner of lockout switch where it touches the fork tube.
front brake- drill new hole so switch pod can be rotated, put new hole slightly to bar end to match clutch side. Loosen and rotate brake lines for clearance.
Presto levers now match angle of your forearms.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LDH,

Just to be clear: You _did_ or did _not_ route the cables _over_ the brake lever?

Thanks.

Mark

·
Old enough to know better
179 Posts
I don't recall a nub on the housing. Didn't have any problems with clearances or throttle slippage on handlebar. It's been a while since I did that, but I don't remember filing anything off and it worked just fine. If I still had the bike ,I'd go out and look, But i sold it this fall.

·
see you at the races and ride
3,906 Posts
Mark618 said:
LDH,

Just to be clear: You _did_ or did _not_ route the cables _over_ the brake lever?

Thanks.

Mark
leave the cables alone, also you can put a few washers under the bar end if you need to space them out for the grips. angling the levers and a throttle lock were the best mods I did to the R1.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts