Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
07 Heaven
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I've just breathed new life into my beloved 98 R1 which had done just over 98.000kms. Rather than trade up and get in debt, I've opted to have it fitted with a 2nd hand 99 R1 engine which has done only 25,000kms.

The problem is, the speedo still reads 98,000kms! I thought this would be adjusted to match the new engine but the mechanic has informed me that this is not the case.

So my question to this forum is, does anyone know a way that I can adjust my speedo to accurately reflect the kms done with my new engine??

Thanks in advance,
Dave.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Um wouldn't that technically be illegal??? the kms is suppose to match your vin on the frame not the engine. I don't think you'll have much luck having someone post it on here.... actually I hate to do this and all to you but i'm gonna anyways... if anyone does know how to do this please keep it to yourself... we don't want to have all the used r1's out there on the market suddenly "DROP" in kms...

·
07 Heaven
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Ah, good call. I didn't even think of that.

So I shall rephrase my request ..

If there are any knowledgeable people who have any suggestions or solutions to my problem then please email directly:

top shelf gear @ hot mail . com

without the spaces of course.

Please note I'm in Australia - so any local information would be most beneficial!

ta.

·
Registered
386 Posts
go to the ministry of transportation and let them know that you replaced the motor with one with less km's that's indicated on your speedo. I think what they do is put a sticker on the back of your cluster that indicates the milage on the motor and the milage on the speedo... that way it's recorded.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts