Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a charging issue with my 2002 Yamaha YZF-R1, and I just can’t seem to figure out the problem.

I accidentally left my bike in the rain overnight about a month ago. The next morning, I tried starting it up. It started with difficulty, but ran smoothly when it warmed up. I rode for a little bit, until suddenly, the bike died on me. I had to get it jump started to get it back home.

After some research, I decided that it was the stator that went out. So, I ordered a new one and pulled the old one out. The old one was pretty much burnt to a crisp, so I figured that that’s what was causing the issue. I then put the new one in. But, when I measured the voltage across the battery at 5000 rpm, I was only seeing about 12.5 volts.

Then I found out my battery was shot from leaving it dead for too long. So I bought another battery. Still didn’t fix the issue.

The only other option I thought was to replace the regulator/rectifier. So I did. Still didn’t fix the issue. Still only reading 12.5 volts at the battery at 5000 rpm.

At this point I was out of ideas. So I asked one of those online mechanics. Basically he asked me to do a bunch of tests, and he thought it was the wire that brings the voltage from the rectifier to the starter solenoid. So, I soldered a new wire directly from the output of the rectifier to the positive terminal of the battery. I made sure I was getting voltage out of that wire (15.5 volts to be exact). Still, I am getting that same 12.5 volts when I run the engine, even though that wire should be putting voltage back into the battery.

I am completely out of ideas. I don’t want to bring it to the shop because they won’t be able to get to it for weeks, and I don’t want to get charged for something I could probably easily fix myself.

I would really appreciate some help!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Did you test the ac voltage or the resistance test from the stator? I've seen new bad units. There's a lot of other tests than can be done but they're a little advanced and hard to explain and probably give bad readings going back and fourth over the internet. I would also recommend you do resistance tests to all of the charging circuit wiring. That wiring is 20 years old. Especially test them at the regulator plug. Those had a tendency to melt connectors from corrosion
I'd take it to a reputable shop.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you test the ac voltage or the resistance test from the stator? I've seen new bad units. There's a lot of other tests than can be done but they're a little advanced and hard to explain and probably give bad readings going back and fourth over the internet. I would also recommend you do resistance tests to all of the charging circuit wiring. That wiring is 20 years old. Especially test them at the regulator plug. Those had a tendency to melt connectors from corrosion
I'd take it to a reputable shop.
I was getting like 30 something volts ac out of the stator, and very low resistance as well. I honestly will probably take it to the shop, but I was hoping it would be something simple. Oh well 😒

1 - 3 of 3 Posts