Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a while back my bike stopped charging the battery, figured it was an issue with the charging system but tucked the bike away while I went through a relocation & job change. Finally had a moment to get the bike up on a stand and start pulling things apart so that I could start testing things and rather than burn time testing all the bits, I resolved to just pull the generator.

Welp... this is what I found. First thing I noticed was the crush drive/absorber that sits in the flywheel gear assembly had deteriorated and broke...resulting in one falling into the engine. I know, stuff me right. Secondly the little plastic bit protruding out of the bottom of the assembly. Got inside and pulled the two apart to find this nightmare fuel.

Goes without saying, both parts will need to be replaced. I was wondering if anyone knew of any retailers that sell a good oem replacement for a reasonable price. The OEM parts are going to run me close to $700 which I'm having a hard time justifying...especially since I still need to pull the motor and do the shift forks; again, fluff me right. Secondly, should I be addressing anything else while in there? I've seen threads mention that bearing but there's no scorching and it feels fine.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Welcome to the club! You'll want to drop the oil pan to get anything that fell down out. I discovered while replacing my generator that it was also necessary to do the bearings on either end of the shaft. The biggest thing with the replacement is to pay attention to the direction of everything during disassembly. There are a couple parts that are direction-specific even if at first glance they don't look like it. I would try cleaning the coils thoroughly as they might be salvageable (mine were). Good luck!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the club! You'll want to drop the oil pan to get anything that fell down out. I discovered while replacing my generator that it was also necessary to do the bearings on either end of the shaft. The biggest thing with the replacement is to pay attention to the direction of everything during disassembly. There are a couple parts that are direction-specific even if at first glance they don't look like it. I would try cleaning the coils thoroughly as they might be salvageable (mine were). Good luck!
Thanks for the advice, I'm absolutely going to have to drop the pan since can't get to that rubber crush drive / absorber that fell in there. Unfortunately i'm finding that that bearing inside the housing has just enough grit to be noticeable when spinning it with my finger. Good news is the bearing in the bike does not. Another unfortunate is the stator itself was damaged with the magnets rattling around in there, dented & scratched the plates so it's probably best it gets addressed as well.

Just miffed that the new bits are going to run me roughly $700 greenbacks. Also definitely didn't want to replace the cover bearing since I don't have a press and I can't fit a bearing puller in there.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Thanks for the advice, I'm absolutely going to have to drop the pan since can't get to that rubber crush drive / absorber that fell in there. Unfortunately i'm finding that that bearing inside the housing has just enough grit to be noticeable when spinning it with my finger. Good news is the bearing in the bike does not. Another unfortunate is the stator itself was damaged with the magnets rattling around in there, dented & scratched the plates so it's probably best it gets addressed as well.

Just miffed that the new bits are going to run me roughly $700 greenbacks. Also definitely didn't want to replace the cover bearing since I don't have a press and I can't fit a bearing puller in there.
So as I'm sure you've discovered, this is a common problem with this generation of R1. I don't know if the generator design was crap, or the failing bearings are the cause. Both are plausible, but Yamaha never owned up to it. Hence why I suggest replacing the bearings as well.

The cover bearing, IIRC, can be punched out from the outside. There's a slot for a large hex key that can remove the centermost part of the generator cover to allow you access. The bearing in the engine case definitely needs a puller/slide hammer. I rented one from my local Autozone (pilot bearing puller and slide hammer) for free. I didn't have a press handy for the new bearings, so what I did was put them in a ziploc bag with some oil and put them in the freezer overnight. This shrunk them just enough that I was able to tap (more of a light pound) them in with the assistance of a 2x4 and rubber mallet.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So as I'm sure you've discovered, this is a common problem with this generation of R1. I don't know if the generator design was crap, or the failing bearings are the cause. Both are plausible, but Yamaha never owned up to it. Hence why I suggest replacing the bearings as well.

The cover bearing, IIRC, can be punched out from the outside. There's a slot for a large hex key that can remove the centermost part of the generator cover to allow you access. The bearing in the engine case definitely needs a puller/slide hammer. I rented one from my local Autozone (pilot bearing puller and slide hammer) for free. I didn't have a press handy for the new bearings, so what I did was put them in a ziploc bag with some oil and put them in the freezer overnight. This shrunk them just enough that I was able to tap (more of a light pound) them in with the assistance of a 2x4 and rubber mallet.
Appreciate the advice 👍 Definitely one of my least favorite automotive replacement parts; Bearings that need to be pressed in & out. I have a pilot bearing puller so I may as well bite the bullet and have it all addressed while I'm in there

·
Registered
595 Posts
Appreciate the advice 👍 Definitely one of my least favorite automotive replacement parts; Bearings that need to be pressed in & out. I have a pilot bearing puller so I may as well bite the bullet and have it all addressed while I'm in there
I'll explain my story a bit. Generator magnets puked like they do. Coils were good, so just replaced the rotor (with the newly designed part). Within 50 miles developed whine that changed with engine RPM. Pulled it back apart and my case-side bearing had gone. Replaced it. Same thing again. Cover-side bearing was gritty. I don't know if the generator failure is related, but considering that the bearings are the cheapest part of the repair I suggest doing them while you have everything pulled apart.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Should have all the parts delivered tomorrow and supposed to have a nice cool weekend. Sucks I won't even be able to take her out for a test after getting her back together since I need to pull the pan to get to the crush drive looking thing that fell in the motor. Honestly could have done that at any time earlier this week/last weekend but completely forgot until typing this up now. Glad I did cause my excited ass would have fired her up like a great big dingus

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
2 Participants
Onevrsix
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing