Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Have you had a charging system failure on your R1?

• Yes, charging problems. > 15k miles

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Yes, charging problems. < 15k miles

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • No problems. > 25k miles

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No problems. < 25k miles

Votes: 5 31.3%

• Total voters
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Il Padrino
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok. My '02 R1 now has just over 48,000 miles on it and I have just replaced my entire charging system for the second time. Both times the charging system failed at approximately 23-24k miles and damaged both the stator and reg/rectifier. The bike was not under warranty for the second one so I paid that out of pocket. With 2 identical failures at almost exactly the same mileage, it seems it is a manufacturers defect and I think Yamaha needs to own up to it.

I've heard of plenty of R1's having charging system problems from the locals, but I want to know how many people here have had problems.

So the poll options:

1. Yes, I have had a charging system failure at MORE than 15k miles.
2. Yes, I have had a charging system failure at LESS than 15k miles.
3. No, I have had no problem. I have MORE than 25k miles on my R1.
4. No, I have had no problem. I have LESS than 25k miles on my R1.

·
Pro Racer Mode - Enabled
1,106 Posts
Hey...just wondering....what did you change out of your charging system? just the stator, and rectifier? And how much did it cost you? I think I may need to change out my charging system as well.

·
Il Padrino
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The first go around the bike was under warranty, they replaced both the stator and reg/rec.

2 weeks ago when it went out again, one of the stator coils was visibly burnt, heavily charcoaled! So that had to be replaced. I sent the reg/rec out to be tested and it was found bad too. So again, I replaced both parts.

Well, the saga continues. I put in the new parts Tuesday night, when for a short ride, and it was charging perfectly. Wednesday was a busy day (partly because it was bike night) that took me lots of places and required starting the bike many times. When I started my bike to leave work, I could tell it didn't have the "juice" it should have, and sure enough, as the night went on, starting became more and more sluggish. When I got home and checked it out, guess what?! Charging system is dead again. I haven't looked too closely yet, but the stator coils look ok. I'm thinking the reg/rec is defective.

F-n Yamaha!

·
Il Padrino
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, and stators run something like $180, the reg/rec like $130, you'll need a generator cover gasket ($3), and the manual recommends replacing the rotor bolt each time it's removed ($2).

·
"Gort-Klaatu barada nikto!"
3,197 Posts
Oh, and stators run something like $180, the reg/rec like $130, you'll need a generator cover gasket ($3), and the manual recommends replacing the rotor bolt each time it's removed ($2).
Have you checked the plug for the rectifier to make the connection is tight? If it's a loose connection, it'll raise the resistance and kill the stator or melt wires.

·
Banned
11,161 Posts
That is a known issue for the 02 03 models. There is a Rectifier mod / dielectric grease procedure for those bikes. No more electrical failures.
I have to dig-up the how to with pictures.

·
1 mad bastard
17 Posts
damn good thing too, lets hope yamaha corporate read these things and are right now preparing a factory recall to fix all our electrical systems before they get a big fat lawsuit!:rant

·
Il Padrino
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That is a known issue for the 02 03 models. There is a Rectifier mod / dielectric grease procedure for those bikes. No more electrical failures.
I have to dig-up the how to with pictures.
I dielectric grease every one of my bikes as soon as I get them. My 02 had plenty and still went through stators (I also did the fan on the R/R mod also). Dielectric grease does not resolve the poor design of this bike's charging system, although it will prevent other problems.

hey not just the rotor bolt but the washer too!

if you don't do the washer the torque setting will be all wrong
I was replacing the washer each time, but as I recall, it's like $10-$15 for that washer. When I noticed that no other manufacturer recommends replacing that washer, I stopped doing it on the R1. I can't see why it would need replacing. It's not a crush washer. It's a super hardened, thick washer that will probably outlast every other component on the motorcycle.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts