Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey has anyone experienced a type of front end chatter on their 04 R1?

It feels like low frequency vibration coming up through the steering head and through the bars.

It doesn't always occur on my bike, but when it does, it's always during hard braking.

Through experience on other bikes, I would normally have eliminated this problem to perhaps warped discs, but the weird thing is that the vibration continues even after I've let off the brakes.

The vibration dies down gradually after the brakes have been released.

Where do I start in diagnosing this problem?

Could it be front discs (20,000 miles old)?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I think I started noticing it at around 30K.I notice it the most as I'm letting
go of the break. New pads usually help it for few hundred miles.

One of my rotors warped and almost seized the front wheel at around 50k.
I replaced the rotors and the calipers w/ a low mileage used ones. I still
get the chatter but not as bad.

Hypothesis: The chatter is from the pads getting loose and start vibrating
due to pads getting looser as they wear out???

Hey has anyone experienced a type of front end chatter on their 04 R1?

It feels like low frequency vibration coming up through the steering head and through the bars.

It doesn't always occur on my bike, but when it does, it's always during hard braking.

Through experience on other bikes, I would normally have eliminated this problem to perhaps warped discs, but the weird thing is that the vibration continues even after I've let off the brakes.

The vibration dies down gradually after the brakes have been released.

Where do I start in diagnosing this problem?

Could it be front discs (20,000 miles old)?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers.

·
4,087 Posts
You might want to check your steering head nut. I heard they can come loose. I read one guy had some sort of chattering, and when he touched the steering head bolt, it was finger loose.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanx for the responses guys.

newbee, I think that's exactly how it happened for me. Changed the pads to new EBC HH pads and the problem went away for a few hundred miles then came back. Think I'm going to go the whole hog and invest in some EBC wavy discs aswell.

BFA, I don't think the steering head needs tightening as when I rock the forks back and forward, there doesn't seem to be any play. Still, I haven't checked it in a while so I will.

I'd be interested to know if anyone else has had this chatter problem, and how they solved it.

Thanx.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.