Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

· Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Aliexpress there's a lot of people selling braided stainless steel brake lines with prices starting at about $15 and going up from there. Some things from China are just as good as name brand and some are not. Not sure which one this is. Can we trust young impoverished children to braid a brake line correctly? Curious to hear some opinions. I want to upgrade but I don't want to pay $150.... at least not right now.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/free...Clutch-Oil-Hose-Line-Pipe-for/2051105148.html

· I am the vanilla gorilla!
18,251 Posts
On Aliexpress there's a lot of people selling braided stainless steel brake lines with prices starting at about $15 and going up from there. Some things from China are just as good as name brand and some are not. Not sure which one this is. Can we trust young impoverished children to braid a brake line correctly? Curious to hear some opinions. I want to upgrade but I don't want to pay $150.... at least not right now.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/free...Clutch-Oil-Hose-Line-Pipe-for/2051105148.html

This kinda crap comes up every other month....are you really prepared to risk your life because you want to save money? Seriously, there are things you can cheap on and things you can't. Brake lines, rear sets and levers are things you shouldn't cheap on. Windscreens and integrated tail lights are things you can. Don't be a cheap ass, keep the OEM lines or pay for the good ones. :fact Part of the reason to upgrade lines is for decreased flex on the lines, is the Chinese shit going to do that? Not likely.

· Hope is what makes us Human.
8,541 Posts

well if we have peeps driving around in Korean cars made or assembled by these and i quote "impoverished children" why not have brake line too :shake

· Mad Thou Rider
2,811 Posts
i dunno if Id risk it given the outcome of a brake failure.

There are several brands that are reasonably priced, ad that can be bought seperately (i.e. buy from then rear later if you cant afford the whole lot at once)

motomummy had decent prices, as do ebay. goodridge are okay. you dont have to spend $150, but Id raise an eyebrow at $15.

· Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This kinda crap comes up every other month....are you really prepared to risk your life because you want to save money? Seriously, there are things you can cheap on and things you can't. Brake lines, rear sets and levers are things you shouldn't cheap on. Windscreens and integrated tail lights are things you can. Don't be a cheap ass, keep the OEM lines or pay for the good ones. :fact Part of the reason to upgrade lines is for decreased flex on the lines, is the Chinese shit going to do that? Not likely.
This is why I'm asking. I would definitely buy levers from china because that's a metal stick that goes into a hole. It's not exactly an engineering marvel worthy of $200+. I probably wouldn't buy rearsets. I did buy HIDs from China and they're fantastic. I would worry more about a brake light than levers because if you're brakelight goes out or is too dim and you're invisible you might get rear-ended and die.

If I bought the brakelines is this something I can visually assess? It seems like a simple thing to make, but I'm not sure so I'm asking.

· I am the vanilla gorilla!
18,251 Posts
This is why I'm asking. I would definitely buy levers from china because that's a metal stick that goes into a hole. It's not exactly an engineering marvel worthy of $200+. I probably wouldn't buy rearsets. I did buy HIDs from China and they're fantastic. I would worry more about a brake light than levers because if you're brakelight goes out or is too dim and you're invisible you might get rear-ended and die.

If I bought the brakelines is this something I can visually assess? It seems like a simple thing to make, but I'm not sure so I'm asking.

Yea a brake lever snapping isn't a big deal :shake

· Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i dunno if Id risk it given the outcome of a brake failure.

There are several brands that are reasonably priced, ad that can be bought seperately (i.e. buy from then rear later if you cant afford the whole lot at once)

motomummy had decent prices, as do ebay. goodridge are okay. you dont have to spend $150, but Id raise an eyebrow at $15.
Cool. Motomummy has the kit for my R1 for $99. That's not a terrible price if they're a proven brand.

· Registered
873 Posts
Other option is have custom ones of any color combo made and it's cheap compared to name brands for motorcycles! I've had many sets made and never a failure and they pressure test each line before you receive them! Usually about 3 dollars per fitting and the lines about 8 dollars per foot! Last time I had 12 fittings and 14 feet of stainless braided line that's vinyl wrapped done for about 165 bucks!

If those China ones can provide you with proof of pressure testing Id be tempted but then this thought of 90% of everything's made in China and repackaged anyways comes to mind lol!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

· Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Other option is have custom ones of any color combo made and it's cheap compared to name brands for motorcycles! I've had many sets made and never a failure and they pressure test each line before you receive them! Usually about 3 dollars per fitting and the lines about 8 dollars per foot! Last time I had 12 fittings and 14 feet of stainless braided line that's vinyl wrapped done for about 165 bucks!

If those China ones can provide you with proof of pressure testing Id be tempted but then this thought of 90% of everything's made in China and repackaged anyways comes to mind lol!

Where are you getting these made?

· Registered
873 Posts
Actually gotten them done from 2 different places but my local place was best deal! Pacific rubber is the local place I just take in the old lines so they can match up the fittings next day pick them up in any color combo I want!
Here's what they look like.. Can change the colors of line, sleeve(at the fitting) and the fitting itself!
Product Tool Suspension part

If you want more info hit me up!

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.