Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
El Assholio Supremo del Mundo
10,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just in case anybody is looking, I bought a Dell Poweredge 400SC server today that when all is said and done, i'll pay less than $300.00 for including shipping.

NOW BEFORE YOU GET REALLY EXCITED....

it has no OS, and no Monitor, but it is astill a helluva deal.

goto Dell website, click on small business
choose poweredge servers, choose 400SC

it has a free CPU upgrade to a P4 2.26
128MB Memory
40Gb IDE hard drive
keyboard
mouse
onboard nic
no sound (i think)
crappy video card (it says the AGP slot isn't supported, but it works, i've installed nVidea 5200 in them.

They have an instant $100.00 discount
a $125.00 Mail in rebate
And free shipping

my company has tons of these (we actually use them as workstations :) )

mine will be here on the 15th!

·
Life: Comedy or Tragedy?
37,599 Posts
:thumbup

I'll have to go take a look. :yesnod My webserver is starting to get pounded to snot right now, and I may need to upgrade.

·
10,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
fjorn said:

I'll have to go take a look. :yesnod My webserver is starting to get pounded to snot right now, and I may need to upgrade.
Shhhh. Don't tell anybody. but i'm gonna put Linux on it......
:crash

·
37,599 Posts
R1Budha said:
Shhhh. Don't tell anybody. but i'm gonna put Linux on it......
:crash

BTW, what'd it cost prior to any rebates you need to mail in? As I said, my webserver is starting to get pounded so 128MB ram isn't going to be enough.

·
10,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
fjorn said:

BTW, what'd it cost prior to any rebates you need to mail in? As I said, my webserver is starting to get pounded so 128MB ram isn't going to be enough.
$418.95 was the amount i paid.
Still deduct the $125.00 mail in rebate from that.
I figured i could find the RAM cheaper somewhere else, so thats why i wentr with the 128MB.
Plus it uses the cheaper type of RAM ,so i've found 512MB for less than $80.

Hope that helps.:rock

·
Tap dat...
14,410 Posts
That is a sweet deal! Thanks for the linkage! :thumbup

·
10,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Their back, and this time they are P4 2.4 w/ 800FSB and H/T.
$274.00

cheap cheap cheap!!!

·
37,599 Posts
:eek:

Too bad I'm so freakin' broke right now.

·
Banned
959 Posts
Great deal. Thanks for the information. If anyone finds a deal on laptops, I would love to hear about that as well. I need one for our racing operation. Only because of the space savings.

·
10,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
fjorn said:
:eek:

Too bad I'm so freakin' broke right now.
I'm getting another one anyway......
Oh well, it's only money....:crash

·
37,599 Posts
R1Budha said:
I'm getting another one anyway......
Oh well, it's only money....:crash

That's what I say, but the wifey put the cabosh on "frivolous spending."

Like modding out my R1 is "frivolous." :crash

·
WHEELIE KING-girls luvmyweiner
4,299 Posts
Thanks bro Im gonna check it out, I'm gonna be needing a second soon:thumbup

·
Registered
10 Posts
Dont get me wrong this sound like a good deal,but you could build yourself a higher specced rig for not much more.All depends what you want to use it for.

crappy video card (it says the AGP slot isn't supported, but it works, i've installed nVidea 5200 in them.
AGP isn't supported?? or it doesn't have an AGP slot,does that mean your Nvidea 5200 is running on a PCI slot.I play way too many online games for that.

OK for workstations if you've got a central server to store all your stuff on an just use this to access it,but hey what do I know I bought my rig from PC World(you can stop laughing now) and then spent the next 3 months upgrading it.

·
10,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Orr25 said:
Dont get me wrong this sound like a good deal,but you could build yourself a higher specced rig for not much more.All depends what you want to use it for.

AGP isn't supported?? or it doesn't have an AGP slot,does that mean your Nvidea 5200 is running on a PCI slot.I play way too many online games for that.

OK for workstations if you've got a central server to store all your stuff on an just use this to access it,but hey what do I know I bought my rig from PC World(you can stop laughing now) and then spent the next 3 months upgrading it.
Dude, first off. Maybe yopu sgould READ before you open your mouth okay?
(See tagline in my sig. Thanks!)

It was posted here for all those looking for a low-end CHEAP computer. Not for playing games on.

BTW, if you want to know about the system, maybe you should take some of YOUR time, and research it.

Now go waste time somewhere else.:2bitchsla

·
37,599 Posts
Orr25 said:

Who cares, if it's nothing more than a workstation (meaning no gaming or high-end graphics), or if it's only going to be a fileserver, it's more than adequate! :thumbup

Hell, I've run fileservers on nothing more than a P120 w/32MB ram. This thing did it's job just fine, and it had nothing more than a 1MB pci video card in it.

Still, wish I could get a couple of these systems. :cryin

·
Full Time Post Whore
9,058 Posts
yeah Budha, I saw those like couple months ago and was going to buy one. I still might pick one up. It's a great deal. Hell even for a little server it's pretty good deal. Expecially P4 2.4 for that price..... Can't beat that

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey guys,chill,everyones entitled to their own opinion....I DID say this was a good deal,just depends on what you want to use it for,like I said good for a workstation/accessing the net etc...

The point I was trying to make was you could increase the spec,ie bigger hdd...for not much more..and dont make the same mistake I did,an spend even more money upgrading it.

Please note,at no point did I say it was a bad deal or that it couldn't do it's job,just that there are alternatives.

·
37,599 Posts
I wasn't ripping on ya at all, just saying that as is it was more than adequate. :yesnod

I hear ya on the online gaming stuff though...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts