Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Bald headed dork
4,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What’s the best/correct way to check a bolt to make sure it’s tightened down to the proper torque? I was thinking that it would be best to first loosen the bolt and then tighten it to the specified torque. I’m thinking that if I don’t loosen it first, and then try to check it with the torque wrench, the bolt could be ‘seized’ and even if it’s not at the proper torque (i.e. tightened all the way), it may appear so. Does this make sense?

·
Registered
43 Posts
yeah, the idea is that you first loosen the bolt. Generally torque settings require a clean and 'smooth' thread. Some even specify applying oil to the thread of the fastener (not the back of the head, because that 'bites' the surface).

So how do you know if you are spot on? Generally you'll be close enough with a torque wrench.

sharkattack said:
What’s the best/correct way to check a bolt to make sure it’s tightened down to the proper torque? I was thinking that it would be best to first loosen the bolt and then tighten it to the specified torque. I’m thinking that if I don’t loosen it first, and then try to check it with the torque wrench, the bolt could be ‘seized’ and even if it’s not at the proper torque (i.e. tightened all the way), it may appear so. Does this make sense?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts