Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you guys have chicken strips on your rear rubber? I would hope none from you who get to the track (if you have had your bike on a track and still have chicken strips you are wuzzes!).

I only logged about 3000Km on my new R1 this year and most of it was commutting straight line back and forth to work. I didn't go out of my way to find twisties as I had no time (work and 2 babies).

Anyways I have about 0.5cm virgin rubber on my pipe side and just a tad more on my left side.

I didn't even feel as if I had been leaning agressively. This bike turns in and handles much better than my last bike (1000 inteceptor) and the D207s are great sitciky tires.

Soooo...... any bigger chickens than me out there?? :)

BTW for you americans... 0.5 cm is about 1/8 inch.

BS

·
Road Warrior
721 Posts
I've worn the stock Dunlops right to the edge, and then some(zero chicken strips), and that's on the way to work! They work well right out of the driveway and even better after they warm up. It just feels gooood:D
PS. Where in Canada?

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Canuck said:

PS. Where in Canada?
Toronto... my ride to work is on an off the 401 the only fun I have going to work is the on/off ramps. The one corner close to my office has a 50 km zone and I got nailed doing 80km in the turn (not even leaning the bike really) so I don't speed around it anymore.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I've got strips on each side of the tire. :( I don't trust any roads around here to push them any further and I've never had access to a track.

·
Natural born looooooser
51 Posts
Chickens??

No, I´ve never run over any birds........:D

·
I eat, therefore I am
63 Posts
Chicken strips!! My tire is flat in the middle! 'Course living in Nebraska kinda makes that the way life is. I still have wear out to a half inch from the edge though. Just no place within three hours with any twisties.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
bighairyralph said:
Just no place within three hours with any twisties.
Well I sure hope you can ride out a wheelie in all six gears then!!! :)

·
Premium Member
6,235 Posts
Tires are WAY expensive. :( Wish they were cheaper. I rarely do burnouts.

This is my back tire that haven't done any burnouts at all with.. I've only done wheelies with it:

·
who needs brakes
23 Posts
That is how I retire my my tires. If I am going to take them of anyways. Should just burn them off!:D

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Swedie said:
Tires are WAY expensive. :( Wish they were cheaper. I rarely do burnouts.

This is my back tire that haven't done any burnouts at all with.. I've only done wheelies with it:
I hear ya! I used to do burnouts all the time (15 years ago) on my bikes. Now I only do them right before I have to replace my back rubber.

Can anyone guess what bike this is????

·
Premium Member
6,235 Posts
Blue: That looks like a Suzuki.. kinda old one.. 80 something? Gsx? 750R? EF?

I too would burn the back tire out completely when it's near the end but I'm worried about making BIG marks on the rear fender / passanger seat ..f airing.. stuff. :)

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Swedie said:
Blue: That looks like a Suzuki.. kinda old one.. 80 something? Gsx? 750R? EF?
Year is 84 - not a suzuki (intersting enough suzuki is the only japanese bike I have not owned - rode enough times but not owned.)

·
extra cash? throw some my way!
7 Posts
well i dont go to the track and do have chicken strips(10mm) on each side. there are some twisties that i have been practicing on around here but i must ride within my means. i definately dont want to drop it. this is my first bike(2000 red r1). i must respect the bike therefore have not totally gotten into it in turns but getting better(actually i have been trying to shake these darn strips but just cant do it even though i feel i get some good turns). also it seems that the harder i turn the more this bike actually grips. must be good tires(d207's?).

·
Premium Member
6,235 Posts
deniedcorpse: good of you. It's better to get to know the bike rather than immediately trying to pull risky stunts. Don't be a shamed over those chicken strips. They are really fun to pick loose.. will entertain you for several hours on a boring and cold winter day. :p

·
Registered
447 Posts
Blue Streak said:

I hear ya! I used to do burnouts all the time (15 years ago) on my bikes. Now I only do them right before I have to replace my back rubber.

Can anyone guess what bike this is????
I'm going to guess a Honda becaue of the white and red color on it. Hurricane maybe?

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
LtdR1Ryder said:

I'm going to guess a Honda becaue of the white and red color on it. Hurricane maybe?
Honda Yes - Hurricane NO (I don't think they even made Hurricanes in 84..)

Keep guessing...

Hint in 83 this bike was the hottest thing going!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts