Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
I Bleed Blue
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a few questions for all you guys that know about "01" R1's.
First Question; What size socket fits the huge steering head nut on the top of the triple clamp. I don't own a socket that large and don't want to go buy the wrong size.
Second question; What is the torque spec on this nut (foot pounds)
Final Question; How do I end this clicking problem? Please walk me through the job.
I know there is another steering head bering nut underneath the triple clamps that might be loose as well. What tool do I use for that weird looking thing, it almost looks like the preload tool for the rear shock is what I use. and how much torque does that nut need?
Thanks to all those that help?
Oh 1 more thing, is this a common problem or am I the only one. I wheelie the piss out of this bike so I think that is what made it loose to begin with.

·
Full Time Post Whore
9,058 Posts
its a common problem. I had a same problem. Do a search on hear bearings...there is planty of threads about it. I remember I even posted some pictures what bolts to remove.

There is a SEARCH button on the top.

·
pavement tester....
7,282 Posts
36mm nut (i believe). Thats not how you tighten it though.

-take off the 36mm nut
-Support front end of motorcycle so there is no pressure on the forks (jack up under headers or use a stem stand)
-once your top nut is off, remove other necessary bolts and pull off your top triple clamp
- now you are looking at your 2 steering stem nuts, the bottom one is the one you are concerned about
-there should be a metal clip on them, remove it
-loosen the top one, then tighten the bottom on. You can use a spanner wrench or a hammer and flathead screwdriver
-once you have it tight enough, move the bars back and forth and make sure they dont bind
-tighten top nut onto bottom nut and replace clip
-put everything back together

Sorry, this is just off the top of my head but its pretty accurate. I havent done it in a while but have done this about 3 times. Martinc should have some more precise info

·
Registered
14,085 Posts
OK then... :lol

Some torque figures first:

Top triple pinch bolts: about 18 ft/pnd (23Nm)
Clip-ons pinch bolts: about 13 ft/pnd (17Nm)
Top clipons locating bolts: about 10 ft/pnd (13Nm)
Upper clamp 36mm nut: about 85ft/pnd (113Nm)

First;you got too loosen all ring nuts (below the top triple);

Then you got to seat the bottom ring nut at 22ft/pnd (28Nm),loosen it,then set it at 7 ft/pnd (9Nm).
Put back the top ring nut,finger tight it till the notches align,insert the locking collar with a tab;at this point,you can choose to remove the rubber washer (between the 2 ring nuts) or keep it;mine is long gone to frisbee land.
Re-assemble the rest.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
It keeps it from coming loose more often. Its suppossed to be there to prevent it from coming loose again, but it doesnt work. I tossed mine a while back also.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts