Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
performance first
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best way to get the clutch nut off, the one holding the hub and basket on. I have no access to an air hose but have a clutch hub holder and half inch tools. :hellobye

·
Drinking Colt 45's with Lando
6,077 Posts
With out the clutch holder it can be tricky to do. Try this, I hope I can explain it well enough as it worked for me.

Find a ratchet strap, take the loose end out and discard the ratchet mechanisim. You should be holding a strap with one hook on one end and nothing on the other. Take the end with no hook and feed it into the cage or whatever its called. Spin the hub around and get the strap to wrap around the hub, much like a yo yo. once you think you have enough in there. Hook the hook onto something like an exhaust bolt and go to town. It should look almost like you could pull start it if you do this right.

ALSO dont forget to un peen the little spot that locks the nut to the couter shaft.

It's crazy but works really well if you do not have the tools. Good luck, I hope you get it!

Lastly when reinstalling, use the right torque wrench on the springs, those bolts are delicate little things.

·
6,077 Posts
Shit I just reread your post and see that you have a clutch hub holder. I cant see what your trouble could be, other than the little locking tab.

Ignore my last post!

Good luck

·
performance first
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jeff said:
Shit I just reread your post and see that you have a clutch hub holder. I cant see what your trouble could be, other than the little locking tab.

Ignore my last post!

Good luck
the only problem I see is how tho hold the clutch hub holder and and be able to loosen the nut unless I can brace the holder with something.

·
6,077 Posts
bryan niles said:
the only problem I see is how tho hold the clutch hub holder and and be able to loosen the nut unless I can brace the holder with something.
Cant you arrange it so that you have the tools close together, pulling with one and pushing with the other?

By the way. Nice avatar fro.:boobies

·
performance first
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jeff said:
Cant you arrange it so that you have the tools close together, pulling with one and pushing with the other?

By the way. Nice avatar fro.:boobies
yes I can I was seeing if I could brace the holding tool on something to make it a little easier on myself. The bike is on a rear stand and I was trying to get something on the ground so the tool could push against it while I unlock the nut. I got plent for the avatars.

·
WERA #5
540 Posts
Dont make it so difficult dude, use the brake to hold it. If you think it will be hard on your chain or gearbox, what about the 70+ftlbs of torque your motor makes?

·
performance first
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bondo said:
Dont make it so difficult dude, use the brake to hold it. If you think it will be hard on your chain or gearbox, what about the 70+ftlbs of torque your motor makes?
I was trying to avoid using the tranny to lock it but you do have a point about the torque.:hellobye

·
WERA #5
540 Posts
Yeah exactly bryan... I mean if you are working on the clutch of an R1, you probably have/will put a lot of torque through that tranny. Just think about the force on the tranny during wheelie, im sure the tranny can take the force of removing this nut.

·
performance first
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
to everybody info much appreciated. I am trying to use the tool because I treat my baby with much love. If it were not my bike I would lock the tranny.:hellobye

·
Ghostrider Squadron
9,251 Posts
buy set of vise grips, go to home depot and get some 1 in metal strap. bend an L in it with end being about 1 inch long, have welder weld it to vise grips and now u have cheap clutch tool

·
I RACE U LOSE
4,137 Posts
Its normal threads, righty tighty & lefty loosey,put in gear and hold rear brake to loosen or tighten.

·
I RACE U LOSE
4,137 Posts
What year ?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts