Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Feelin' lucky?
323 Posts
You can use any kind of thin, oil-based lube that comes in an aerosol spray can (WD-40, Bel-Ray 6-in-1, etc.), but you'll also need the tool to force the lube down the length of the cable, known as a cable lube tool.

Pull off the rubber boot at the end of the cable so the lube can escape.

I also put a dab of grease on the barrel-shaped end that attaches to the clutch lever.

The whole operation takes 3 minutes.

Been doing this once a week for 20+ years.

Yes, you can also use this on the EXUP cables.

·
Feelin' lucky?
323 Posts
Well, I don't know who sells R1 parts and accesories in Canada, but I'd try a shop that sells Yamaha motorcycles.

·
Old and slow.
176 Posts
Not as well. The luber actually forces the lube down the cable and out the other end. No promises that you can accomplish the same thing by just spraying the end.

I would venture to say that you probably make a bigger mess otherwise.

·
El Assholio Supremo del Mundo
10,685 Posts
YZEtc said:
You can use any kind of thin, oil-based lube that comes in an aerosol spray can (WD-40, Bel-Ray 6-in-1, etc.), but you'll also need the tool to force the lube down the length of the cable, known as a cable lube tool.

Pull off the rubber boot at the end of the cable so the lube can escape.

I also put a dab of grease on the barrel-shaped end that attaches to the clutch lever.

The whole operation takes 3 minutes.

Been doing this once a week for 20+ years.

Yes, you can also use this on the EXUP cables.
This is excellent advice!!!
Outting the small amount of grease on the barrel actually does more to extend cable life than lubing the cables nowadays, thanks to the teflon coating inside most stock cable sheathes. Most failures i have seen are actually on the connection of the barrel to the cable.
So DON"T FORGET THIS STEP!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts