Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Wow.....
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so they called for beautiful weather here in Cincinnati today, so I thought I'd get my bike ready to ride....

Since I laid the bike down in November, I've been working on getting her back to snuff. I should note, that after laying her down, I got up and kept riding....so there were no problems with the bike other than cosmetic.

One of the items broken was the clutch handle. So I replaced the handle. No big deal - or so I thought. I also finished an oil change at the same time, and took a look under the tank to make sure everything looked ok.

But now she won't start....probably because of sitting all winter. So I thought I'd try push starting....but now the clutch doesn't work. WTF? I only replaced the handle, and it worked fine the last time I rode. I pull in the clutch, can see the mechanism pivot down by the transmission, but won't disengage the gears. So I tried adjusting the spin dial on the handle....nothing. Tried tightening the nuts down by the trany....nothing. Still won't disengage the gears.

So after all this, I'm looking for a little feedback. I am NOT a mechanic - but noticed that fresh oil is poured into the same cavity as what the clutch mechanism is mounted to. Does the engine need to run a bit to get oil down by the clutch? Any other ideas on what might be wrong?

A little help please? :-(

Thanks in advance. I SO want to go riding this weekend.

·
Registered
14,028 Posts
Its probably stuck;you got to make the engine run a bit then ride the bike in order to cure it...if that is the case.

Try charging your battery;1amps for 6 hours or .5 for 12.

When disconnected,your battery should read around 12.5V minimum after charging;dont forget to let it sit for at least 30 minutes at 20C temp before taking readings.

·
Every Day is a New One!
362 Posts
After sitting all winter the clutch plates will stick together. Try warming up the bike a little bit and the problem should dissapear.

·
Wow.....
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys - you're all right. I guess in my ignorance, I thought the clutch handle change might have had something to do with it....and I just couldn't see how. I jump started it, ran it for a few minutes, and what do you know....it works like a champ....and I was out riding this afternoon.

Thanks again! Come on summer........

Cheers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts