Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Living the dream!
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just started racing my 08 R1 this year and have blown 3 clutches.

I know I am spending too much time in the friction zone when starting, but when I try to release it too early, or try lower RPMS, I get left behind.

1. Can anyone recommend a heavy duty clutch that can take my abuse?

2. Can any racers help me with starts? I am a novice and appreciate any help I can get.

·
my genius knows no bounds
425 Posts
do your practicing in second gear, thatll teach you smoothness and fine control.

you get left behind partly cuz youre taking too long about it all, yes, but mostly cuz at lower rpm's youre not at peak torque which is what gets any kind of vehicle off the line quickest. take a minute to look up, for your engine, what rpm creates max torque and hold it there, maybe 100-200rpm higher since once you start letting the lever out, in other words once things start to hook up and the engine comes under load, its normal for this to drop the rpm a bit.

or get a '15 r1 and use the launch control =]

·
Living the dream!
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
do your practicing in second gear, thatll teach you smoothness and fine control.

you get left behind partly cuz youre taking too long about it all, yes, but mostly cuz at lower rpm's youre not at peak torque which is what gets any kind of vehicle off the line quickest. take a minute to look up, for your engine, what rpm creates max torque and hold it there, maybe 100-200rpm higher since once you start letting the lever out, in other words once things start to hook up and the engine comes under load, its normal for this to drop the rpm a bit.

or get a '15 r1 and use the launch control =]
I will try second gear. Thanks for the help.

·
Banned
5 Posts
First gear, half throttle, clutch in. Lights go out, full throttle and run the clutch. Simples. If the front comes up too much then feather the rear brake.

I struggled with starts for over a season and my mate from World Supermoto helped me. Too many people complicate it and that's what he taught me and it works!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts