Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think my clutch is starting to slip around 10 RPM(04 R1) I have 8000+ miles is this normal ? Should I change them with an OEM Clutch kit or go aftermarket ? If aftermarket what brand should I go with ? ex. Barnett, STM ?

·
Ron Paul 2012
3,778 Posts
That seems pretty low to be replacing a clutch. Do you spend the majority of your time clutching wheelies? Even so, that still seems too quick to replace. There might be other problems in there... my .02

·
Layer-3
1,962 Posts
My Stock clutch lasted 24K Miles, 18K on the street and about 6 K of Racing this year...5-6 Launches a weekend...

I replaced my clutch with another stock clutch...OEM Clutches are the best IMO...

·
Layer-3
1,962 Posts
One more thing...

Make sure your clutch is properly adjusted...You should be able to pull your lever back, and place a nickel inbetween the clutch lever, and stopper BEFORE it begins to enagage your clutch...

Attachments

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
extrakt0r I check the adjustment there it was fine. What happens is when I am in like 3rd, 4th , 5th and 6th gear when I am in the power band it seems to rev a little and not go anywhere but then gradually gets up to speed. If I was riding normal I would never notice but when I get on it hard it starts acting up. Yesterday was the first time it did it and I was getting on it all day before it started to acting up.

·
Layer-3
1,962 Posts
If you want to see what a clutch looks like when it is going out...

Watch my Autobahn Video...I raced that entire race on a burnt clutch...

Your clutch will start to go bad in the higher gears 6th, 5th, 4th all the way down...

You can see my video in my Video Section on my Website...A Clutch takes maybe 30 Mins to replace (if you have done it once or twice) the hardest part is getting the cover back on and aligned with the rod puller inside the clutch...

A simple test...

Put your front tire aganst a tree, wall, etc....

Put the bike in 6th Gear, and rev it to about 4-5K....Start to let out your clutch slowly...The clutch will either catch and the bike will die, or it will begin slipping...Becareful when you do this...

Another Easy test...Take off your oil fill cap...If it stinks, it is your fibers burning...You'll know what I'm talking about :) LOL

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
extrakt0r I think it is my clucth cause after it does that I do start to smell somthing funny coming from the engine. I am also going to try the test after work today Thanks extrat0r. Is there anything else I need to know when changing the clutch ?

·
I wish I had more time to ride
565 Posts
extrakt0r said:
One more thing...

Make sure your clutch is properly adjusted...You should be able to pull your lever back, and place a nickel inbetween the clutch lever, and stopper BEFORE it begins to enagage your clutch...
thanks for the post, i like the nickel thing

·
Booya
34,490 Posts
Jonrone said:
Its sounds like your clutch is shagged. I think 8K is pretty good on a cltuch. From what I've found stock fibers work the best. its less than a $100 for all the fiber from Ron Ayers.
8k is good on a clutch? Damn dude, what do you do to yours? I've got 24k on my 04 and it is perfect.

·
Layer-3
1,962 Posts

·
Layer-3
1,962 Posts
Fuquan said:
I am going to change everything since I will be in there springs and gasket and ect.
Go idea...You will also need to change your oil and oil filter also...

Let the bike sit for a while so all the oil drains down, and you should have very little come out of the engine when you remove the cover....If you have a clutch slider, i would also remove it becuase it is going to be a BIG PITA when you re-install the cover, you have to get the cable pull rod to line up exactly with the clutch rod in the inside of the clutch...Take off the oil fill cap and try and look down and line up the grooves...It is a very touchy-feal thing and you will be saying lots of cuss words when doing it...

It is also a good idea to let the fibers soak in some fresh oil a day or so before you install them...

Also, make sure you take out and install the fibers and plates in the exact same order...Also use a caliper to check for proper tolerances before you install the new fibers and plates (I have had them off from the factory before)

After about 50 Miles you will need to adjust your cable tension after the inital bedding and mating of the fibers, it will get tighter on you so make sure you properly adjust, using the nickel technique I pointed out above....

Good Luck.. :thumbup

·
Ghostrider Squadron
9,251 Posts
stick with OEM. i hae been thru 5 sets of steels and 3 or 4sets of fibers (lost count) but i drag race and am hard on them. they dnt take wel to abuse for sure. the OEM seem to be cheapest out of bunch. i would get some stiffer springs from EBC or barnett. i think the EBC comes in sets of 3 so u need to 2sets or just alternate them with stock ones for little stiffer springs.

·
Layer-3
1,962 Posts
Fuquan said:
Could my clutch cable not be properly adjust make the clutch slip ?
Yes...Did you see my above post w/ Picture?

It could be that it has never been properly adjusted (Again the 50 Mile Adjustment if you purchase new)..

See above post...But it is more than likely toast if you can feel slipping...Once the teardown of the fibers has begun, you can't stop the process...

:cryin

1 - 20 of 27 Posts