Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got 7,000 miles on my 2006 R1 and I think the clutch is gone. Is this normal for this year R1? My F4i had 26k+ and my 954rr had 17k+ and I never had to replace the clutch. I rode all of them the same. Not excessively hard, but I do have to slip the clutch a lot more on the R1 do to lack of torque, but 7K just seems way too low.

·
Lake County Ass Terry
32 Posts
I have just over 20k miles on my 05 and I have never had even a slip yet. I have been on the track 4 times. Know any other riders who might take a look. I'm sure the stealership will tell you that you ride to hard/crazy and will want to replace it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply. I'm gonna just pull the cover to take a look and make sure. but I wanted to see if anyone else had any comments regarding the clutch

i believe the clutch was changed in '06 but im not sure.

i've had to adjust the clutch every 1,000 miles or so and now i'm out of adjustment. it just seems really fast compared to the other bikes ive had and i know ive ridden them all the same.

thanks again for the reply

·
Ghostrider Squadron
9,251 Posts
heres quick way to check it. clutch will slip more in higher gears than first. more load on motor in higher gears. put bike in 5th gear going 15-20 mph.. pull in clutch, rev motor to 12k, dump clutch. if rpms drop immediately.. clutch is fine. if rpms come down slow or flash up.. clutch is bad. get good set of aftermarket springs.. it will help clutch life alot. if u replace clutch.. stick with yamaha plates and stees... i have tried every plate known to man.. hgh priced ones and everything in between. im hard on clutches dragracing... yamaha plates last longer, and are cheaper to buy. if u have any questions, shoot me a pm or email. [email protected]

·
Registered
53 Posts
i have 11k on my 06 r1 and been to the strip alot and i am on my 4th clutch i have tried everything and just like someone else said the best thing to do is run stock steel and fiber with aftermarket springs worked the best so far and someone not sure who it is rught off the top of my head sells a clutch oiling kit for 99 dollars thats what im getting next,

·
2006 R1
11 Posts
just an update, it was the clutch, I finally got around to opening it up and inspecting it. The middle 3 fiber plates were gone, its an interesting design the way the outer plate is 1/2 indexed so that its pretty much impossible to wear down the fiber plates too far. anyways, there is not a lot of meat on these fiber plates to begin with. well $100 and about an hour and its good as new. I guess I'll just be replacing the clutch every other oil change. or stop the drag racing :flex:

·
Registered
10 Posts
just an update, it was the clutch, I finally got around to opening it up and inspecting it. The middle 3 fiber plates were gone, its an interesting design the way the outer plate is 1/2 indexed so that its pretty much impossible to wear down the fiber plates too far. anyways, there is not a lot of meat on these fiber plates to begin with. well $100 and about an hour and its good as new. I guess I'll just be replacing the clutch every other oil change. or stop the drag racing :flex:
now im not sure but i thought that stock 06's came with a slipper or is that the 07? Just curious..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.