Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, first time poster. Usually I manage to browse straight off Google but this one has done my head in.

I replaced the clutch discs on my 08 R1 (have done this job before on another bike) but since completing the job it won't fully disengage.

Cable has been adjusted fully, bike was serviced recently, clutch stack height is 43.00mm on the dot, clutch lever arm matches the markings on the clutch cover. The only potential thing I'm thinking is the frictions and steels are not fully lubricated. Do I need to run the bike for longer before trying to put it in gear and make sure the plates are completely covered in oil? Do they need to be bed in? I can't fault any other part of the job as it all went according to plan.

When I roll it in gear with the clutch in I can slowly roll it with a lot of effort but when the bike is running it just stalls the second I put it in gear.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Are you sure the kickstand switch or clutch switch hasn't gone bad? This doesn't sound like a clutch drag issue.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you sure the kickstand switch or clutch switch hasn't gone bad? This doesn't sound like a clutch drag issue.

Definitely not the kickstand or switch. When shifting down into first gear it grinds into gear and stalls. When I start it in first gear with the clutch in, the bike struggles to turn over and lurches forward.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Definitely not the kickstand or switch. When shifting down into first gear it grinds into gear and stalls. When I start it in first gear with the clutch in, the bike struggles to turn over and lurches forward.
I assume you soaked the plates in oil before installing?

Another think you could check is the alignment on the clutch arm under the basket. You said it was right on the dot, but I seem to remember these needing to be off a little to actually engage/disengage correctly.

It's been a while since I've done clutch work, so I'm digging deep into the archives for this lol.

·
I rocked in Iraq
889 Posts
I assume you soaked then all in oil prior to installing?

Proper installation order?

Definitely sounds like a clutch problem, sounds like you're going to have to open it back up.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I assume you soaked the plates in oil before installing?

Another think you could check is the alignment on the clutch arm under the basket. You said it was right on the dot, but I seem to remember these needing to be off a little to actually engage/disengage correctly.

It's been a while since I've done clutch work, so I'm digging deep into the archives for this lol.

Yeah my understanding of the clutch arm line-up mark was to be either equal to the clutch cover mark or slightly to the right with tension. That's basically where mine sits. Definitely has sufficient tension when applying the clutch lever too. And yes I soaked all the plates overnight before installing

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I assume you soaked then all in oil prior to installing?

Proper installation order?

Definitely sounds like a clutch problem, sounds like you're going to have to open it back up.

Yep, all soaked overnight. Installation was all as per the manual being meticulous to follow the part numbers using genuine parts. All confirmed with the old discs and plates that it was correct.

Is it possible the plates are stuck and would be worth trying to run the engine up to temp and try play with the lever before shifting into gear?

·
I rocked in Iraq
889 Posts
How was the clutch basket? No grooving where the plates ride?

Personally, I would go ahead and open it back up and double check it. You might be able to support the bike on the side to avoid draining the new oil.

Been a long time since I did my clutch. Maybe someone with more recent experience will weigh in.
Photograph White Font Art Parallel

Reactions: 1202067

·
Is there anybody out there?
4,231 Posts
The dot and arrow are the point where the clutch starts to disengage. Remove the clutch cable and rotate the push lever forward by hand. It should stop where the dot and arrow line up.

Mark

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey guys, thanks for all the help. I have found the solution. Through the second time I took out the clutch plates and not reapplying oil to the friction and steel plates it seems they stuck together and caused it all to bind up. Running the bike up to temperature and a few revs seemed to get a good coverage of oil while playing with the clutch lever. I then started the bike in gear and everything else is history. Took it for a quick ride, shifts beautifully and disengages perfectly.

Friendly reminder for anyone doing clutches. Don't be like me and always reapply oil to the friction and steel plates!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts