Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I Just got a 2005 R1 nice bike but needed work plus air filter oil change did all that then I decided to change the clutch plates all went well till I started to put the plated back the first problem the wire clip that holds the 1sttwo plates that broke.
So reading some other posts they left it out so I decided to do the same after putting the rest of the plates in all the right way, presser plate back on. clutch cover on after some time
looked into the oil filler hole to make shaw the plates were moving they are, now the clutch won't disengage
Done the adjustment
Got a lot clutch movement but when I pull in the clutch lever it is still slightly still engaged.
Any help will be most appreciated.
Chris

·
Registered
699 Posts
If you're "slightly still engaged" it sounds like you didn't get the arm underneath the clutch basket quite right. Might need an adjustment out a little bit. It can be tricky because I don't think the arrows will line up exactly

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Thanks for your reply I have removed the c-clip under the arm and moved the arm around to give more movement but it's still the same, it seems I have plenty of leaver movement.
I took the plates out 4 times to make sure they were right, it's got me beat

·
Registered
699 Posts
Can you take any more slack out of the bottom of the cable at the clutch? That's where the majority of the adjustment should be. The adjustment at the level is just fine-tuning.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK so went to the bike today tried more adjustment by the clutch but now I can push the bike in gear there is no in the middle.
All I have done is fitted new heave duty plates and new steel plates apart from the wire clip wire on the 1st plate which was broken I was reading one thread that he had put the wire clip back in and it must have come out and wound round his crank.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Have you checked the cable adjustment at the other end of the cable? There are two point of adjustment. At the clutch and at the lever.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thank for your reply yes done that.
I just don't understand how just changing the plates can course such a problem.
Taken the plates out 3 times made shaw the plates were moving looking into the oil filler hole taken up the slake on the cable to the point were you can push the bike when in gear, slacken of the cable then you can't move the bike when it's in gear but still engaged when you pull in the clutch lever it's just driving me crazy

·
Registered
699 Posts
Did you measure the clutch stack to make sure it wasn't out of spec? You mentioned you installed "heavy duty" plates. What brand are they?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
EBC heavy duty original equipment CK series I did not measure the stack but there was the same amount of plates one small and the rest the same size

·
Registered
699 Posts
Without being able to see it in person I'm out of ideas. It's gotta be something crazy simple as I assume it was fine before the clutch replacement.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks again yes it was fine before bit noise that's why I decided to change it you would think something so simple would course such a problem.
I think I am just going to bite the bullet and call a mobile mechanic

·
Registered
699 Posts
There's no shame in that. Good luck and keep us posted on what the solution is!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi, I finally manage to sort it got the dot lined with the pressure just biting started up the bike and let it run for five minutes made some fine adjustments all good.
Thanks for all your help
Chris

1 - 14 of 14 Posts