Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many people have been clutching up their 02 03 forever and have not had damage - and how many have? I don't clutch em - I blew up four crap kwak motors doing that so I just bounce it these days - But I was just curious how tough the 02 03 area on the basket / rods side.

·
THEONEGTIVR6
1,336 Posts
Never had to clutch my 02 up she came up really easy. What motors have you blown and why do you think clutching wheelies up caused it??

·
Registered
37 Posts
Never had to clutch my 02 up she came up really easy. What motors have you blown and why do you think clutching wheelies up caused it??
they power up just fine you don't need to clutch it up 99,05,09,15,16 r1's never had an issue
Same here with my 02, 3,000 rpm's and nail it, front comes right up. My 06 takes a little more rps, 4,000 or more but when it comes up it's hard to control. The 06 has a little engine work done and is sick fast. Of all the bikes I've owned starting in 1977 with a brand new 1977 Kawi KZ-1000 (even before engine mods, was very fast in it's day) my 06 R1 is the fastest bike I've ever owned or ridden.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've never had an issue clutching up a bike. The only thing that I can think of that may have caused engine problems is oil starvation - if you ride at 12 o clock for too long.

I spent most of my youth on one wheel. Never had to replace a clutch or an engine... plenty of fork seals though. People tend to panic when you ride up behind (or pass them) on 1 wheel... it can be hard to land softly when they're busy panic braking in front of you

·
THEONEGTIVR6
1,336 Posts
How many people have been clutching up their 02 03 forever and have not had damage - and how many have? I don't clutch em - I blew up four crap kwak motors doing that so I just bounce it these days - But I was just curious how tough the 02 03 area on the basket / rods side.
Are you going to answer my initial response?? What makes you think clutching up blows engines??

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Are you going to answer my initial response?? What makes you think clutching up blows engines??
WTF - Chill out dude. Its the holidays people are busy even if you aren't. To answer your question - Because it flat out does... I had one engine specifically spin a bearing when it was clutched, not a moment before - not after and that makes perfect sense because you are loading those rod bearings something fierce when you mash the plates together with such an RPM difference. No doubt whatsoever that it notches up the clutch basket too and its just not necessary on a liter bike. Even my 00 would power up in 3rd - no clutch needed.

·
2016 R1
217 Posts
WTF - Chill out dude. Its the holidays people are busy even if you aren't. To answer your question - Because it flat out does... I had one engine specifically spin a bearing when it was clutched, not a moment before - not after and that makes perfect sense because you are loading those rod bearings something fierce when you mash the plates together with such an RPM difference. No doubt whatsoever that it notches up the clutch basket too and its just not necessary on a liter bike. Even my 00 would power up in 3rd - no clutch needed.

There is also a very small margin of how to do it correctly with the clutch where it’s smooth and doesn’t load everything in a snapping type of fashion. There are far more ways to do it incorrectly, which is the majority of how people do it when learning. I’ve been doing it for many years across many different bikes and I’ve never had any issues and certainly nothing that ever could have suggested anything close to blowing a motor because of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
371 Posts
Nope on the clutch . Either oil level was already low or pressure, or bearing was ready to let go anyhow

·
R1, "One Hell of an Addiction"
14,032 Posts
I've never had an issue clutching up a bike. The only thing that I can think of that may have caused engine problems is oil starvation - if you ride at 12 o clock for too long.

I spent most of my youth on one wheel. Never had to replace a clutch or an engine... plenty of fork seals though. People tend to panic when you ride up behind (or pass them) on 1 wheel... it can be hard to land softly when they're busy panic braking in front of you
When I was young (long time ago, LOL) I used to wheelie a lot. If you do it correctly you won't harm the clutch. Even on my old 1977 Kawi KZ-1000 I used to do 1/4 mile runs and major holeshots and never blew the clutch. Those bike had some strong clutches though. As I got older I've tended to use the bike for what it was designed for, going fast in the twisties and aggressive lean angles in the turns. Only wheelie once in a while.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts