Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· 55 yea right
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys i got a good question!! i have put a full akro and Ivan's needles on my baby, and when i was under her skirt i notice that her air box is backwards (getting hot air from the motor). well me and my bright ideas. I ran ONE hose (a little bigger than a jumbo pencil) from one of the air inlets on the air box between the frame and mounted it on one of my fork legs. Well, this made me think that it is getting colder air in the box and we all know that cooler air means more HP. I ran the bike for about 10 to 15 miles with this set up and I did not notice a big change in the power, BUT i did notice that the bike ran between 8 and 15 degrees cooler (it has that "C" instead of "F") but I would say about the same in power. I took the hose off and rode it to se if there was a big difference in power. What i want to ask is ----i want to put that hose back on my bike, but i do not want it to be the "ram air" type set up, what i want to do is put ONE tube back where i had it but in steed of it going to the front of the bike have it some where, where air will not be "rammed in it----but just getting cooler air than it is getting from under the tank. What do you guys think. I am sure cooler air will help, but i think i went overboard with the ram air thing (but it was only one side and the hose did not cover all of the hole on the air box, it was about half. people help me out

· 55 yea right
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Your input will appreciated!!!

· Registered
15,446 Posts
danger1 said:
Your input will appreciated!!!
well, when talking about your setup,use the "cold air intake" instead of ramair;ramair involves pressurizing the float bowls as well,and a few other tricks...

enough for the lesson.

it is possible(remotely possible,but possible nonetheless)that this tube richen your mixture by partially closing one of the airbox ports;

i"d let the idea aside if i were you,i dont think this made your bike running 10-15 deg. colder...pure coincidence.

· 55 yea right
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
itinkyou miss under stood it. i did not block one of my air box holes----i put a tub in it and ran it to the front of thre bike to get cooler air. tell me this--is they anough suction in the air box to suck air threw a 2 foot hose??i.e running tubes if the air box to a place to grt cooler air . maybe some where arond theundertail(right under the seat facing rear(not forcing air in):eek:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.