Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
I'm So Slow
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It takes at least 3 cranks to get my R1 started in the morning and after work. It stays in the garage. Anyone else?
It's an 03 I picked up last October and now only has 500 miles, all stock.

·
Registered
639 Posts
thats normal i think. i wouldn't worry about it.

·
HighRider
699 Posts
Are you holding the start button in until it turns over, or are you letting go just as it starts to kick in? I hold mine in until it kicks in otherwise I have to try it again. I picked it up in January. 360 miles as of Sunday :)

·
HighRider
699 Posts
Are you holding the start button in until it turns over, or are you letting go just as it starts to kick in? I hold mine in until it kicks in otherwise I have to try it again. I picked it up in January. 360 miles as of Sunday :)

·
III
103 Posts
I have an 03 and it does not crank over on the first start. I fouled my plugs during a cold start also. But, usually it will crank up eventually. I'm not too worried about it.

·
I need more money.
3,022 Posts
I got my 03 back on june 2003. after a few days I saw it takes 2-3 times to cold start the bike. I hated that thing, so I went to my dealership and they told me its normaly. that wasn't enough for me and I asked them to tune the bike with the computer they use and they showed me that everything was perfect and I have nothing to worry about. I told them ok nad went out.

I can say that I am preaty much ok with it now after I talked with some R1 owners from the same mode.

Still dont understand why its like this. My father's FJR 1300 start on first try no matter how long he didnt use the bike.
and also my previous bike(suzuki 1200 bandit) use to start on the first try.

Soslow, I can tell you now: dont worry about it its ok. :)

·
I need more money.
3,022 Posts
BTW,
I forgot to mention,
I dont know why, But since I put my yoshi slip-on things are better. the bike starts on first or second try.

·
I'm So Slow
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Monolith said:

I hold it for just a few seconds. This is my first bike with fuel injection and I do wait for the fuel pump to quit whining before cranking the starter. My friends Honda 954 starts right up. My R6 starts right up. I'm not going to worry about it as long as it starts up for me to ride it.

·
Registered
536 Posts
if it was put in storage, maybe your battery is slightly discharged........run a battery tender, then it should fire right up even though it's cold as hell

·
HighRider
699 Posts
SoSlow said:
I hold it for just a few seconds. This is my first bike with fuel injection and I do wait for the fuel pump to quit whining before cranking the starter. My friends Honda 954 starts right up. My R6 starts right up. I'm not going to worry about it as long as it starts up for me to ride it.
My first Fuel injected as well, but plenty of friends with them. I guess we are both so slow :)

·
Super Moderator
21,669 Posts
My '03 fires right up on the first or second try. I make sure the
pump is primed and shuts off then I hold the clutch in and she
starts right up. I've got over 7K on it.

·
Northern Rider
137 Posts
I believe it is normal. The colder it is the more tries to get it running. They say a slow start is best for the bearings as it takes the oil time to push out the bearing.Don't worry about it. D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts