Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Clearin' leather...
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My R1 is a cold starting mother in almost any weather. It was fine when I first got it, it'd fire up in one or two pushes of the button. Now it takes five or six times. It has 27xx miles on it, any thoughts? Oil was changed at 500 mi, I don't rough ride, what's up with it? :dunno

·
Clearin' leather...
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe, but it starts fine once it's warmed up or ridden, shut off and then started again. I can't put my finger on it but I'll check the plugs to make sure. It doesn't miss at all and is running like a raped ape, better than it ever has in fact. That's why I'm kind of stumped...

·
Super Moderator
8,670 Posts
I found this works every time for starting my R1 when cold (it's been getting cold here in NY).

Turn key on. Wait for fuel pump to stop running. Hit starter for 1-2 seconds. Just enough to turn the engine a little bit.

Fuel pump will run. Wait for it turn off. Pull in clutch and start. Should crank right over.

·
Clearin' leather...
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool, thanks Corny. I'll try it.

·
Una Caterva, Una Pugna
34,147 Posts
lil R! said:
what is a cold start.....??

hint==look at my location.....sorry folks about 88 F today
I hate you. :no

Hint: Look at MY location.:cryin

·
Clearin' leather...
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
High 70's all week during the day, mid 50's in the morning here, btw. It just seems like the first start of the day it happens or after it has cooled all the way down. Maybe it needs a cup of coffee or something...

·
Super Moderator
8,670 Posts
bigpoppapump said:
I hate you. :no

Hint: Look at MY location.:cryin
True true :(

I've been ridin the quad all the time :lol

That sucker starts up in the cold no problems.

·
mmmmm...black bike
1,856 Posts
Is it all stock? Do you have a power commander on it? The plugs should not be fouled out by now. Try giving it a touch of throttle when cranking it over. Throttle positioning sensor bad?

·
ALL THIS MODS GETS ME BROKE:(
3,318 Posts
I usually keep mine next to a fireplce to keep her nice and toasty:lol

My advise is if the bike is still under warraty why not use it.

·
Clearin' leather...
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Only performance mods are a Yosh RS-3 slip on. I do give it a little juice when I crank it in the morning to no avail. If I take it to the dealer, they charge me labor if it's not a warranty issue (BS if you ask me) so I'm not about to fatten his pocket any more than it already is for him to tell me nothing's wrong. I think I'll change the oil this weekend and check the plugs, just in case. Maybe it's just the nature of the beast.

·
ALL THIS MODS GETS ME BROKE:(
3,318 Posts
I don't think a dealer can charge you if you are taking the bike to them for some technical problems. FI bikes supposed to start right away even on cold conditions. Give it a shot bro that is what warranty for for any technical problems you encounter and don't forget you paid for that warranty,it is included on the price of a new bike.

·
Clearin' leather...
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll call them and ask, but my local dealer is kind of scheisty...

·
Protected By GLOCK
759 Posts
Corny said:
I found this works every time for starting my R1 when cold (it's been getting cold here in NY).

Turn key on. Wait for fuel pump to stop running. Hit starter for 1-2 seconds. Just enough to turn the engine a little bit.

Fuel pump will run. Wait for it turn off. Pull in clutch and start. Should crank right over.
I do the same minus the clutch thing, it was 38 the other morning and she started right up

·
Layer-3
1,962 Posts
I know this may be over-excessive, but I have a rubber bed that my motorcycles "sleep" on in the garage. They are 3'x3' and 1 inch thick pieces of black rubber that I purchased at Lowes. I have a bunch of them over the floor of my garage.

It keeps the bikes off the cold concrete and also prevents the cold from "eating" at the rubber parts of the bike over the winter months. I also have it for my cars. I maybe all in my mind, but if anyone lets a vehicle sit for a long time, the springs feal harder at first, and I think that this prevents that, and also keeps the bike a few degress warmer.

·
Clearin' leather...
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Alright, WTF? I just went out, didn't even touch the throttle and it fired up like nothing. Yeah, it's 80 F but it hasn't been touched since this morning. Oh well, at least it has all it's finger and toes...

·
Super Moderator
21,675 Posts
CBRADGO said:
It has 27xx miles on it
Would that be 27,000 miles or 2,700 miles? I find it hard to
believe a 03 with 27k, but if that's the case I'd say your way
over due for a set of plugs and a few other things. Pulling in the
clutch on a cold engine will help it start better. Just make sure
the bike is in netural.

·
Banned
15,355 Posts
CBRADGO said:
Maybe, but it starts fine once it's warmed up or ridden, shut off and then started again. I can't put my finger on it but I'll check the plugs to make sure. It doesn't miss at all and is running like a raped ape, better than it ever has in fact. That's why I'm kind of stumped...
Dude ummmmmm if ain't broke don't fock with it. You should be happy the engine is nice and tight. Not to change the subject but it's like a nice young, let me stop. Just be happy damn it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts