Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I am not in this squadron.... but i am coming over for a holiday...
check out the other post in this squadron...

·
"IM BACCCCK"
5,542 Posts
im at work

·
Ah the joys of the twisties
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
modsquadr1 said:
I am not in this squadron.... but i am coming over for a holiday...
check out the other post in this squadron...
Let me know where and when!

·
Registered
1,861 Posts

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
D3LSM

No, you are not alone, I am here in Glasgow. Sorry you had to wait 2 years, but now there's two of us! Whooo hooo!

Oh, and now the good news......

Although I live up here, I am actually English!.....

.....you still there?........ huh?:hellobye :lol

·
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
..and about time too:hellobye

...and it's not you fault your English:no

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
D3LS

Wow, that was quick!

I am amazed you were still scannin' the horizon after 2 years.

Although English, I love it up here, fantastic roads! (shame about the weather!) Regularly go up to Inverary/Oban/Tyndrum(Green Wellie) and Glenn Coe. - Bliss.

Shame winter is just starting, although I do tend to ride all year I try to avoid goin' out once the roads are covered in salt. Just can't bear the thought of the R1 covered in that shit! This is my first R1 (got it in April) had a 'Busa for 5 years previous.

·
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: D3LS

Kamchat said:
Wow, that was quick!

I am amazed you were still scannin' the horizon after 2 years.

Kinda stopped coming on when everbody got 04 bikes and got pissed off everybody talking about them.

I do pop in now and again but not much.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Not to worry, soon it will all be about 05's ! :)

(Although I think it's just paint change this time, - the Americans are getting a really cool all black version)

I suppose I will soon get to undestand your problem as I tend to keep my bikes for about 5 years. I was lucky with the 'Busa as, apart from paint, Suzuki never updated it (other than restricting top speed to 186mph along with the rest of the manufacturers) .

This forum is huge. Seems to be a mine of useful info on R1's.

Speaking of 04's my mate has just pissed me off by explaining he has bought a new one identical to mine for £6,500!

He is posted in Germany with the T.A. and will be bringing it back with him next month. Why do we get so ripped off in the UK?

What is the biking scene like in Dundee, good bike pubs? - groups to go rideouts with? - or do you just ride with friends?

·
Insanity Please
2,205 Posts
Kamchat said:
Speaking of 04's my mate has just pissed me off by explaining he has bought a new one identical to mine for £6,500!

He is posted in Germany with the T.A. and will be bringing it back with him next month. Why do we get so ripped off in the UK?

What is the biking scene like in Dundee, good bike pubs? - groups to go rideouts with? - or do you just ride with friends?
I thought there were laws in place in the UK to stop thaty very thing happening. Is there some type of grace period, when you can buy out of country and bring it in, without getting import duties up the ying yang..!? :dunno

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Warp Racer

There are some restrictions, I know he has to keep the bike for a set period (2 years I think?). But that is all (maybe forces get a special deal - I am not sure) But other than that the only problem is the speedo will be in KPH and the headlight will need changing to point the right way for riding on the left. But with nearly £3,000
saving on UK prices this shouldn't be a big deal!

·
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What is the biking scene like in Dundee, good bike pubs? - groups to go rideouts with? - or do you just ride with friends? [/B]
There's no bike pubs here.:(

Just go out now and again with a few hero's :no that piss me off with all there bullshit.

I do Knockhill as much as poss. though,well until I binned it big style in June:(

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
D3LS

Bummer, does that mean you are down to one bike? Where you able to claim insurance or does track day thing negate that.

Good biker pub down here is the Carbeth Inn on A809 north of Glasgow, great road too, out past 'Queens View' although it can resemble a race track some summer evenings. Three bikers died last year on the four mile stretch from the pub to Croftamie. :(
I have been overtaken on this stretch of twisties by regulars wheelieing at 120+mph :eek:

However in winter things quieten down. Was there on Sunday, cold but dry, about 20 bikes in attendance.

Great place to sit outside and chat and watch the coming and going. Guy flipped his blade wheelieing away a few weeks back
(thought he was in 2nd but was in 1st when he clutched it up!)

I haven't done track days but I often go out riding with guys from Ducati Glasgow who are at Knockhill regularly.

·
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
It was my track bike so there is no insurance on it.:( So I'm down to one at the moment until the rebuild in done,hopefully for start of next season.

Queens View you say,just past Pitlochry??

All that shit should be kept for the track:yesnod .If I'd had my crash on the road I'd be dead now,but saying that I wouldn't be cranked right over on the road to highside the way I did.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
D3LS

No, different 'Queens View' - on A809 Glasgow to Drymen road, about 15 miles north of Glasgow. The pub, Carbeth Inn, is on the route.

Been on rideouts to Pitlochry several times via Aberfeldy & Killin.
Nice roads but still not in the same league as the west coast. Inveraray to Dalmally and on to Tyndrum is my current favourite.
:thumbup

·
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Agreed some of the roads over there are tops.

Crainlarich to Oben or Fort Bill are ace,then down to Lochgilphead:thumbup

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Hey, we are talking about the same road partly. Crianlarich, Tyndrum to Oban, but then turn left just past Dalmally down to Inveraray.

Know the routes you mentioned, great roads! Awesome scenery through Glencoe!

Have you ridden the Duke's Pass over the Trossachs, Aberfoyle to Kilmahog? Bikers either love it or hate it. Like a giant roller coaster, constantly twisting and turning up and down with some bends tightening up half way round! Non stop flicking the bike from side to side. Bit dangerous after heavy rain with gravel washed across apex's. This road has claimed quite a few scalps!

Yup, spoilt for choice for great roads up here.........now if it would just stop raining! :snorkel

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
About this Discussion
45 Replies
14 Participants
Tango2
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing