Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Insanity Please
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any ideas of a good slick GPS unit, that can be attached reliably to a bike, for those accurate speed runs...:rock

Cheers WR

·
Insanity Please
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump...anyone ...!? :dunno

·
Camshaft
281 Posts
Garmin GPS V is what I have. Very expensive! But about the best one out there for a bike. What ever kind U get though, make sure it is WAAS equipped.(much more accurate) Cheers:thumbup

·
Super Moderater
11,751 Posts
Warp Racer said:
Anyone have any ideas of a good slick GPS unit, that can be attached reliably to a bike, for those accurate speed runs...:rock

Cheers WR
I have a radar dectector that also is GPS/ gives speed readout including highest speed. can be had for around 200 US
Elevation
long/lat
etc

·
I love this beast
112 Posts
I also use a PDA, whole W-Europe can be stored on one 256MB CF card (only when it's not raining), sometimes after a short wheely or speed bump it needs a soft reset (you can't do that while driving, so you have to stop for 30 sec).

·
Insanity Please
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers for the photo Sparco,
I have a Compaq iPAQ myself, but I thought the size would be too combersome, but it looks neat on your bike. I think I may just get the GPS sleeve for it and be done with it.
What did you do for a mounting bracket, as I can't see to much from that angle.
I'll check out Navman as well and see if they have a sleeve for my model iPAQ.
Once I get my 04R1 and have her broken in, I want to give her, her head and see what she is capable of before playing with the sprockets ratios. And where I am, no one cares about you doing a speed run on the main highway away from the cities and townships...woohoo.

·
I love this beast
112 Posts
With the Navman sleeve you receive a stupid mounting device which can be used in the car, broke that thing down and used the top part together with a bolt that expands (width) the more you tighten it, in dutch we call it a "kil-bout".

I'll send you a picture if you want (digi cam is not home at the moment).

·
Insanity Please
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Sparco, no need for the piccy, as it sounds fairly straight forward. One of the names we call them in Australia, is a Dyna Bolt...same deal though.
Thanks mate,
Warp.
p.s. I have a mate who is Dutch and owns a H-D Dealership in South Africa.

·
Would you stay down
94 Posts
Much cheaper option, for just speed runs, is a GPS watch. It has a seperate transponder box (small) which you wear on an armband and the watch can do several speed readings, but ultimately, maximum speed. I took it snowboarding recently and it was good laugh (hit 52mph and bottled out of any faster! Friend managed 63moh on his skis!). Its rated to 450mph! Mine is a Timex Ironman Triathlon. Cost about £150 or approx 200 bucks.

·
Insanity Please
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
LimeyR1 said:
Much cheaper option, for just speed runs, is a GPS watch. It has a seperate transponder box (small) which you wear on an armband and the watch can do several speed readings, but ultimately, maximum speed. I took it snowboarding recently and it was good laugh (hit 52mph and bottled out of any faster! Friend managed 63moh on his skis!). Its rated to 450mph! Mine is a Timex Ironman Triathlon. Cost about £150 or approx 200 bucks.
Thanks for the reply Limey, as I have seen the GPS watches available in Thailand..could be a cheap way out, but I just want to know what Ironman will get up to 450 mph..on the swim, bicycle or run leg...:finger

1 - 12 of 12 Posts