Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello R1 mates!
I own a 15 R1 and i just got my new exhaust with cat delete
I’ve been so confused for a while between getting PCV or Bazzaz ZFI and a servo eliminator or flash my bike with FT ECU flash tune. I am an automotive engineer so i got a decent knowledge about tuning but i am not an expert so i am a bit worried to try and flash my bike my self! I searched alot and i found that they give you unrestricted images of the ecu and some flashes from graves but i heard that the tuning doesn’t always work well! Besides that their software won’t open and i contacted them and they said when i buy it and connect it it will work, i am not confident though because the software suppose to open without buying the cables as they say. Tried it on a lot of laptops and they all do the same thing. And to get the full picture in my country there is no tuners or dynos
So i thought maybe bazzaz or pcv will work great until i flash my ecu abroad.
please give me your experience if u have ever tried any of these setups!
And maybe if i got any of these i will upgrade later by getting the autotune kit
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha YZF-R1/Raven
474 Posts
Mohamed-
Use the search function on the forum for keywords; lots of information on the forum already. Personally would recommend either having your ECU flashed mail-in or at a local shop over piggy-back systems AND I have yet to meet a rider that did their own flash and didn’t have to have it fixed by a real tuner.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mohamed-
Use the search function on the forum for keywords; lots of information on the forum already. Personally would recommend either having your ECU flashed mail-in or at a local shop over piggy-back systems AND I have yet to meet a rider that did their own flash and didn’t have to have it fixed by a real tuner.
Thanks alot for you reply mate
I would put that in mind
I found some discussions on the forum but do you have any idea if i need to remove the stock O2 sensors if i got the bazzaz zfi without the auto tune module?

·
Registered
19 Posts
My R1 had the Bazzaz installed when I bought it, I ripped it out and flashed my ECU with FTECU. The flash was a bit cumbersome due to their online licensing system, but I got it worked out eventually, and have been happy with it since.

My .02: Don't buy the Bazzaz, flash your ECU. The piggy back units are modifying the ECU's fuel injection control signal downstream of the ECU (without the ECU's knowledge), using less input information to make those modifications than is available to the ECU. Why not just fix it at the source and directly modify the tables in the ECU via flash? Piggy back units were born out of necessity for bikes whose ECU that can't be modified. From a reliability standpoint, the splices for the piggy back units, along with the piggyback unit itself, is introducing potential failure points to your FI system. Not to mention you'll need an ECU flash anyways if you want to add auto-blip (which is the best $400 you can spend on the bike if you are serious about track performance IMO).

The US '15 R1's stock ECU maps also have a ~15 HP loss built into them in order to meet EPA regs - not sure if that's applicable to your bike, but flashing the ECU will fix that if it is applicable.

If you don't feel comfortable doing the flash yourself, I'd recommend sending your ECU to these guys:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My R1 had the Bazzaz installed when I bought it, I ripped it out and flashed my ECU with FTECU. The flash was a bit cumbersome due to their online licensing system, but I got it worked out eventually, and have been happy with it since.

My .02: Don't buy the Bazzaz, flash your ECU. The piggy back units are modifying the ECU's fuel injection control signal downstream of the ECU (without the ECU's knowledge), using less input information to make those modifications than is available to the ECU. Why not just fix it at the source and directly modify the tables in the ECU via flash? Piggy back units were born out of necessity for bikes whose ECU that can't be modified. From a reliability standpoint, the splices for the piggy back units, along with the piggyback unit itself, is introducing potential failure points to your FI system. Not to mention you'll need an ECU flash anyways if you want to add auto-blip (which is the best $400 you can spend on the bike if you are serious about track performance IMO).

The US '15 R1's stock ECU maps also have a ~15 HP loss built into them in order to meet EPA regs - not sure if that's applicable to your bike, but flashing the ECU will fix that if it is applicable.

If you don't feel comfortable doing the flash yourself, I'd recommend sending your ECU to these guys:

Thanks ! I will consider that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.