Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Just trying to go faster.
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully someone has run across this problem themselves or seen it so I can try fixing it myself before I have to give it up to a mechanic to fix it.

So without realizing my 2016 R1s was leaking oil all over my right side. I didn’t realize it until I stopped to get some gas. At first I didn’t know how it happened because I checked the oil plug, cap and filter and all were present and snugly screwed on. And then I realized something had happened when I was on a straightaway prior to pulling over that my bike didn’t hit too speed and wouldn’t go any higher than 10k rpms even though it redlines at 11.2k or whatever the number is for the s model.

So what I’m thinking is it might have something to do with my top end and revving it on high rpms. I haven’t gotten to it yet but maybe the valve cover gasket? I’m wondering what you guys are thinking? Thank ahead of time guys.

Attached are 3 pictures of when I first pulled over having oil all over only the RIGHT side of my bike. Right side as in throttle side. And the other 4th picture is right now me taking the cover to the air box and seeing oil on the left side of the cover. Which is weird if I say so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Rev limit is 12,200 btw on the r1s model****

·
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pull the airbox. Check the top of the motor. The oil looks like its comin from top of the motor looking at the oil streaks...

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Tapatalk

If I have to pull the air box I might need to look up some YouTube videos. I haven’t done it yet on this bike haha.

·
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have you done anything to the bike recently?

And no nothing mechanically at all. Only thing I did recently was a chain clean and chain adjustment prior to the ride before his happened. And the last oil change I had down before was about 1200 miles ago. So it wasn’t really that recent.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
thats a lot of oil it has to be coming from a pressurized part of the motor. that tube coming off the right side engine cover is a good place to start and look the the oil cooler if it took a rock it would start to spew like that. theres a black braided hose on the right side that connects the cooler. pull your plastics off and spray the bike down with degreaser rinse the oil off so its cleaner and then top the oil back up and start it. you will see where its coming out. i don't think that oil inside the box has anything to do with it. even the valve cover would't leak that much. in front of the motor, below the radiator is where everything your going to want to look at is pretty much. let us know what you find

·
Back to the Yamaha community.
761 Posts
Check your oil fill cap and see if the o-ring is present....... if not it is sucking in air and will leak oil around the threads pressurizing the crankcase.

·
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thats a lot of oil it has to be coming from a pressurized part of the motor. that tube coming off the right side engine cover is a good place to start and look the the oil cooler if it took a rock it would start to spew like that. theres a black braided hose on the right side that connects the cooler. pull your plastics off and spray the bike down with degreaser rinse the oil off so its cleaner and then top the oil back up and start it. you will see where its coming out. i don't think that oil inside the box has anything to do with it. even the valve cover would't leak that much. in front of the motor, below the radiator is where everything your going to want to look at is pretty much. let us know what you find

I will let you know later today when I get home. I have to go to work so I’ll see what I can find. I stripped the bike down to only it’s left side fairing and the front body.

·
Venom X/O
23,219 Posts
And no nothing mechanically at all. Only thing I did recently was a chain clean and chain adjustment prior to the ride before his happened. And the last oil change I had down before was about 1200 miles ago. So it wasn’t really that recent.

Yea, Im not sure what would be causing it without taking it apart myself. I will say the air box is really easy to get off the bike, even for a noobie. I’d youve taken an airbox off before this will be no problem. I am really interested as to what caused it. Please keep us updated.

·
Back to the Yamaha community.
761 Posts
Now that I'm not looking at the pics on my puny phone I would wager that Andrew above is right. You have a hole in an oil line or the oil cooler to spew that much oil. Was there anything left in the crankcase, wow.

·
51 Posts
Now that I'm not looking at the pics on my puny phone I would wager that Andrew above is right. You have a hole in an oil line or the oil cooler to spew that much oil. Was there anything left in the crankcase, wow.
Thats what I thought, any oil left in the engine after that? I wouldn't say that was a oil leak, more like an oil spray..
I see you have crankcase protection installed, could it be coming from loose screws or misplaced gasket?

·
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

So looking at it, is that suppose to be protruding like that?

·
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Check your oil fill cap and see if the o-ring is present....... if not it is sucking in air and will leak oil around the threads pressurizing the crankcase.

Oil fill cap has the O ring present. And the ring is on pretty snug and tight too with no cracks or bends.

·
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Is this the braided tube you’re talking about? If so that tube seems fine. No punctures and it’s on tight.

·
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Pull the airbox

I’m doing it right now but once I take it off what am I looking for? Screenshot is taken from a video from sportbike track gear.

·
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

So this first picture is of my left #1 and #2 throttle bodies and notice the oil there.

And now this is my right side throttle bodies #3 and #4. Notice how clean these are with no oil.

·
SuperbikeUnlimited.com
1,912 Posts
Oil anywhere...it running or pooling. Your pics shows it running down the frame from under tank...
I’m doing it right now but once I take it off what am I looking for? Screenshot is taken from a video from sportbike track gear.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
About this Discussion
69 Replies
14 Participants
JonRose
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing