Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I ordered ivans jet kit with the needles and was nothing but happy with his needle set up with the 130 mains and my stock header with exup and a devil slip on. I ran a stock filter with that set up which is recommended with no airbox mod. I have now changed to a full akrapovic system with the same needles installed and kept the 3.5 turns on the mixture screws. The bike ran great. I switched over to the race filter and did the airbox mod and the bike ran a little weaker in the midrange which is backwards of what its supposed to do. I called Ivan (who usually is eager to help me) and his receptionist said he was busy so I just talked to him through her. She gets me so confused everytime. I end up going backwards in a conversation everytime she explains something to me. Ivan explained to me that when I bought the original kit that it would work with the upgrades. If somebody who knows what is going on here could please set me straight I would greatly appreciate it. I am running a full akra race system with the airbox mod and race filter. I have the 130 mains in with ivans needles. Is this the right set up?? Do I need to order a different set of needles. I am running the needles that he sells in his jet kit. I didnt think that he made a different set for the airbox mod and race filter.

·
Banned
31,510 Posts
been there done that over and over. she is a dip$hit! ditch the stupid airbox mod idea. i did. and no the needles are the same. he does not make 2 different needles. i had to buy another airbox lid though!

·
Yep got the Bog Rip ONE
98 Posts
I think alot of people get confused on jetting with IVAN. His jetting kits only work well the way he designed them to. If his instructions say stock filter & slip on thats the only way it will run "balls out".

So if you do an air box mod with a new race filter & exhaust. Your jetting will be way off. I would guess lean considering your allowing more air to the same fuel.

I think he she was telling you to order the recomended needle profile from someone else,who makes a needle profile for that exact setup.

I'm just trying to save you some :banghead:

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I run a full Akra with shorty can / BMC race filter/ removed IAS system and the Ivans jet kit installed exactly as per instructions and it pulls hard all the way through the RPM range with no flatspots or dips at all. I'm neither rich or lean. I would suggest going back to the stock box. I think it helps if your elevation is close to sea level where Ivan because that is and where the kit was developed. I do have a spare airbox if anyone is in need.

·
Registered
272 Posts
if your needles have slots in them, use em. move the clip down to raise the needle for more fuel. and read the plugs. too white or black?(best to go full out and just shut it down.(like a 2 stroke), remove body to do this easier.

·
My Twins took all my money
2,456 Posts
If the creator, who spent hundreds of hours designing and testing the needles, says it runs best with stock air box, filter, & header. Why would you try to improve on that? He spent the money so you wouldn't have to, and from what I understand about Ivans needles, is that if they didn't work at all he doesn't sell them.

·
Registered
272 Posts
thats a set up for his pipe, at his altitude, his controled conditions. some bikes come from factory with the cam timing way off and the same for the ignition. so, not all bikes are created equal.

·
Banned
31,510 Posts
thats a set up for his pipe, at his altitude, his controled conditions. some bikes come from factory with the cam timing way off and the same for the ignition. so, not all bikes are created equal.
:stpd: there are too many variables for a 'one size fits all' attitude with a motorcycles tuning. and ivan knows this , but it wouldn't help his sales if he told the TRUTH!:fact

·
-.-- .- -- .- .... .-
3,305 Posts
Looks like the Ivans kit is for one specific set up. It say's so right on his web site. Most jet kits come with different main jets, like at least four different sets. So you can adjust to your needs.
Also I have found that the needle's they give with the c-clip, are best set were they recommend. Hell, even the stock needle's were good shimmed. Once the air mixture screw was set(usually around 3) and pilot jets were changed(sometimes had to drill them for pressed in versions), Only thing after that was going thru different size mains for your set up. If all he gave you was 130's, maybe get some 132, 134, 136's to try.
Iam not a fan of the vacuum control slides on the carbs, I always threw them away for CR's or flatslides. Maybe the stock carbs need that stock air box for the vacuum slides to work properly?

·
Banned
31,510 Posts
Looks like the Ivans kit is for one specific set up. It say's so right on his web site. Most jet kits come with different main jets, like at least four different sets. So you can adjust to your needs.
Also I have found that the needle's they give with the c-clip, are best set were they recommend. Hell, even the stock needle's were good shimmed. Once the air mixture screw was set(usually around 3) and pilot jets were changed(sometimes had to drill them for pressed in versions), Only thing after that was going thru different size mains for your set up. If all he gave you was 130's, maybe get some 132, 134, 136's to try.
Iam not a fan of the vacuum control slides on the carbs, I always threw them away for CR's or flatslides. Maybe the stock carbs need that stock air box for the vacuum slides to work properly?
ivans kit does come with different mains.... and mikuni dont make 132 134 or 136 main jets. they go in 2.5 step sizes.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
He has different set ups that work with his needles. It is confusing though. The bike pulled harder with the stock filter and no airbox mod. He has posted an airbox mod set up for the exact set up that I have that added 3hp on his dyno sheets. Check it out on his website. That is what I am saying. When I bought the kit he said I could convert to the pipe and race filter with the airbox mod. Now she is telling me measure your needles you may have the wrong ones. I know I have the right ones, I just want to know how to adjust for the changes made due to the race filter and the airbox mod.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was wrong. There are two different needles. Needles that are standard for a slip on and stock system and needles that are for the airbox mod and race filter. I talked to ivan for around 45 mins tonight and he cleared it all up. He even took care of me with the needles. Grade A service in my book. I thought that for a while I was going be stuck with needles that I didnt need. Either way the bike felt stronger because I was on the lean side with the stock filter full system and stock filter being 3.5 turns out. Thats why when I did the airbox mod the bike got weaker. Its all cleared up and thanks for the help guys. I still recommend this jet kit for a factory set up and I will let you know how things go with the race filter and airbox mod.

·
-.-- .- -- .- .... .-
3,305 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeh I see what you are saying. Dyno-jet is not an option for no matter how you jet with there kit you will get lean up top. The needles are too long. When held beside ivans needles you are like what the hell. Been there done that will never go to them again. I will have the needles with the different taper sent to me and install them and let you guys know how things go. He said the airbox mod needles are tapered different at 5mm from the tip. We will see how much they help.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.