Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this a good idea or what... anyone got any knowledge to offer on this subject ? I wont do the rims, maybe send them out for chrome, but I have heard that the R1 wheels become to brittle after the dipping process... whats the scoop on this ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think someone posted that tracks don't let you on if your frame is polished (?) I'm going to look into this before I do mine. I personally think the blue one looks amazing with a polished frame.

·
Forum chick
345 Posts
The chroming process WILL weaken the aluminum, I saw a guy's wheel crack on each spoke at the hub. To chrome something you have to acid dip it, then there is a brass type coating that goes on before the chrome, and the chemical adhesion process weakens the aluminum.

·
Nightmare About to Come True
1,894 Posts
Why not polish them? I just stripped mine and did not polish them cause I like the satin look but you can polish them to a mirror finish.:eek:

·
Back from retirement
81 Posts
polishing

polishing the frame looks great but keeping it polished is a pain,, so if u do decide to polish it,, don't do to much that it hard to keep clean

·
Back from retirement
81 Posts
twisted

Twisted,
Yeah thats my pride and joy,,,, i don't have much money at this time so any aftermarkets are gettign put on hold(may be next month) but i can't stand not making it look better so i decided to polish the upper half of the frame just to be a little different, and i did the front end up with a white number plate and light covers
(i'm gonna get some pics of it next week to show):boobies

·
Fun=Riding R1 or snowboarding
179 Posts
Info on polishing

Found this info here: http://www.extremepolish.com

Also I found a cool polishing kit you can buy here:
http://store.yahoo.com/azmotorsports/frampolkit.html

Remove all the bodywork from your bike including the tank. This will save expensive plastic from any accidental slips of the sand paper. Before you remove the bodywork take note of what parts of the frame are actually visible. No reason to polish something that will not be seen. Then start with 220 grit sand paper to remove the anodizing from every where that you want to shine. What is important is to go always in the same direction with the sand paper strokes. Try to go with the existing "grain" of the metal. Removing the anodizing is a long pain in the ass process. You will have no finger prints left after polishing. From 220 comes 320 to remove the scratches left from 220. The grit sequences I use are as follows: 220, 320, 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1500 and if needed 2000. Doing the whole bike by yourself with a good part of everyday dedicated to it will take just over a week. If you don't mind investing some money into this project buy an orbital sander. This will greatly reduce the polishing time and wear on your fingers. The only "trick" involved is not to get into a rush to complete it. I really can not stress this enough. If you do not completely remove the scratches left behind from the previous grit you will always have scratches visible. When ever I think I am finished with one grit I always go over that same area again one more time with a fresh piece of paper to ensure I have all the scratches out. I recommend to keep using the same piece of paper until it is smooth so you are using it to gradually remove the scratches left from a fresh piece of paper. Up keep of a polished frame is not. I use a metal polish called "Mother's" but I have used a product from Europe called "Wenol" that was also good. When I get caught in the rain I just dry the frame and swing-arm to prevent any drops leaving rings when they dry. And when I clean the bike I just go over the bike with the metal polish to bring back the mirror shine.

:D

·
Forum chick
345 Posts
R1_CR, that Wenol polish is the BEST. I get the auto glazes for my car and they are top notch. I can't find them in stores so I have ordered them off this site:

http://www.wenolit.com/

They have buffing supplies, metal polishing stuff, waxes, glazes and all kinds of polishes and polishing kits.

·
Who wants to ride?
10 Posts
Polishing

Props to R1_CR for posting the letter I wrote on how to polish. Kathleen, I do recommend Mother's over Wenol though. Wenol is easier to use but after about a year of using it you will notice 'pits' in your frame. Mother's does a real good job protecting against oxidation.

·
Back from retirement
81 Posts
I have used both mothers and wenol to maintain the shine on my frame,, but i have found a polish that is way better than both,,,its called X-TREEM metal polish.
its a big wad of cotton soaked with cleaners. you tear off a little pieces of the pink cotton and use for polishing. i got it a local tire and rim dealer,,,, it works ten times better than mothers and wenol.
its kinda hard to find anymore so heres the address thats on the back of the package

HULCHER ENTERPRISES, INC.
611 KIMBERLY DR.
DENTON , TX 76201 its part #02001

·
Nightmare About to Come True
1,894 Posts
X-treem is the same as never dull both work great and easy

·
Forum chick
345 Posts
Hey, thanks guys! That sounds like its alot easier to use as well as the fact that you say it works so much better too.
Thanks for putting up the address, 321 cya. :) Makes it much easier.

Hi R-won! Its very nice to meet you. Welcome to the forum. :)

·
Who wants to ride?
10 Posts
Thanxs Kathleen! Pretty damn kewl place you guys have here. I was getting a bunch of hits from this forum so I thought I would check it out.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts