Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm seriously thinking of getting a Ducati 996 or 998 instead of an 04 R1. The Ducati's are just soooo sweet and the sound of the 996 with twin D&D's just makes me melt. So, has anyone ever ridin the 996 or 998 and for that matter, whats the difference between the two? I'm also curious if the bike has enough umph to bring the front up clutchless in 2nd. Also would like to know how it rides, handles, and accelerates so if you have any info please post it. I remember a guy on this site got one but I don't remember who it was. Thanks in advance for any input.

Ian
www.redlinestands.com
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
I can bring the front end up clutchless on my R6 in 3rd, you should have absolutely no problem getting a liter bike up in second.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Handles great, brakes are great, power sucks, compared to a R1, or any other V-Twin, they are hot as hell to ride around town in traffic, and it is one of the most uncomfortable bikes I have ever ridden, but they are beautiful bikes, as far as looks go. I have a 02 R1, and would not trade it for a 996, or a 998. You need to spend a little time in the saddle of both. Great track bike, but not a very good street bike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,867 Posts
well first of all the R1 has more power... so right off the bat ... you should know what to get... however I think and have heard that the 996 is more balanced and more suited for track use...

I like the 996 or the 998/999 but I would get it as my second bike...if possible...
 

·
Beeeeeer!
Joined
·
9,542 Posts
Never riden a Duc but I would still rather have a TLR.
 

·
Moving sucks...
Joined
·
10,144 Posts
I just went from a 2002 R1 to a 2002 998, and I have zero regrets. Both are great bikes, but I've always gotten week-knee'd around Ducatis.
The downside to my bike is that it's expensive, requires significant maintenance every 6K miles, is painful to ride around town, will get beaten by any R1 in a straight line, and is about 40lbs heavier than it should be.

The plus side? Fuggin beautiful to look at and to hear, pulls very hard from 4,000 - 10,000 RPM's and has a very linear toque curve, stable as hell when cornering, front end feedback is unparalleled, dry clutch, Ohlins rear suspension, blah blah blah. There is plenty more power to be had from any stock Ducati motor, but if you took a 916/996/998/999 and put the same money into an R1, you would likely get beaten by the R1 every time, in a straight line. On the track? I don't think so, but it doesn't really matter to me anyway, I freakin LOVE riding this bike.

If money isn't a problem, and you lust after Ducati's, I would highly recommend getting one. If you drag race, money's tight, or do a lot of riding around town, ya can't beat Yamaha R1's. I've owned two, and will own another one someday.
 

·
R1-Forum
Joined
·
1,628 Posts
R1formetoo:
As a previous Ducati 998 (Yellow/Mono) owner and a current 2004 R1 owner; my preference is clearly the R1. Mind you the 998 was an excellent machine, however it never inspired me in the way that my R1’s have. Understandably both are completely different machines, ultimately the decision becomes a truly personal choice.

Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thats funny choda because my 01 R6 had no chance in hell of the front coming up clutchless on flat ground and on my 00 R1, I have to clutch it up in second because the bike just won't lift up on flat ground. This includes bouncing the bike, rolling off and on the throttle hard and all the usual methods. And it ain't for lack of experience, I've got around 30,000 downfree miles but my bike just doesn't come up easy.

Ian
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
p3ug said:
Stock? standing up? hmm
Yep, stock and standing. It's an 03 with nothing but a slip on. Maybe soon I'll have vid of it. I get it to around 10k in third, and bounce hard. It comes up the same as second. I don't like it though, cause I have to be goin 80-90mph, which is bad when you don't have a damper.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,594 Posts
R1formetoo said:
I'm seriously thinking of getting a Ducati 996 or 998 instead of an 04 R1. The Ducati's are just soooo sweet and the sound of the 996 with twin D&D's just makes me melt. So, has anyone ever ridin the 996 or 998 and for that matter, whats the difference between the two? I'm also curious if the bike has enough umph to bring the front up clutchless in 2nd. Also would like to know how it rides, handles, and accelerates so if you have any info please post it. I remember a guy on this site got one but I don't remember who it was. Thanks in advance for any input.

Ian
www.redlinestands.com
Ducati is great on the track and really shitty on the street!!:fact

Plus you better start working out your left hand grip for that "Ironman" style clutch pull.

Not worth the maintenance but really sweet looking. Stock vs. stock, the Ducati will loose in an all out drag race and roll on.
 

·
Taming the power btwn my legs!
Joined
·
611 Posts
Have you considered maybe around a 2001 Aprilia RSV Mille R?? My friend picked one up with very low miles and it is more than a blast to drive. Granted the new factory milles are amazing, but you can pick up a slightly used Aprilia cheaper than an 04 R1. Good luck, the Ducati is still a great sounding/looking/performing bike!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
125 Posts
Re: Re: Considering the 996 instead of 04 R1. HELP

r1-superstar said:
Ducati is great on the track and really shitty on the street!!:fact

Plus you better start working out your left hand grip for that "Ironman" style clutch pull.

Not worth the maintenance but really sweet looking. Stock vs. stock, the Ducati will loose in an all out drag race and roll on.
Superstar, you are right about the clutch pull. I've spent a lot on time on the 748,996, and 998. Everything is high effort on those bikes but precise.The 998 had the strongest motor but didn't last.

My buddie went through two 998's and one 748, all brand new and all had bad motors. Ducati did warranty the bikes and everytime they gave him a new bike so it worked out for him. He now has a 996 that Ducati gave him because he didn't want another 998, and so far the 996 has been good to him.

They are great bikes I just don't think they are great for everyday riding.
 

·
Vrooom
Joined
·
1,531 Posts
R1formetoo said:
Thats funny choda because my 01 R6 had no chance in hell of the front coming up clutchless on flat ground and on my 00 R1, I have to clutch it up in second because the bike just won't lift up on flat ground. This includes bouncing the bike, rolling off and on the throttle hard and all the usual methods. And it ain't for lack of experience, I've got around 30,000 downfree miles but my bike just doesn't come up easy.

Ian
If you can't get it up in 2nd on a 00 R6 then you are most definetly not doing it right. I used to ride them out for a good mile every time. Try bouncing harder, cuz I think ur missing the timing. The first time I bounced mine in 2nd, I just about looped it. :fact
 

·
PWN3R
Joined
·
1,396 Posts
I had a chance to ride 998 and it is very bad on your back though very very good handling and braking I also have ridden an 04 r1 and it is nothing like ducati I preffer R1 even though there will be a lot of people riding R1s you still will have a chance to mod it to your personal prefference because there is more than a handful of aftermarket parts for yammie
 

·
Tap dat...
Joined
·
14,410 Posts
Are you nucking futs?? :confused:

The 04 R1 has more power, technology, and is far better looking that the Duc is.
 

·
Off Topic mod
Joined
·
11,217 Posts
I would love to own a ducati because they are sooooo freaking sweet! I love the twin sound and it is just plain sexy :)
 

·
Big Pimpin'
Joined
·
190 Posts
Shadow R One said:
I would love to own a ducati because they are sooooo freaking sweet! I love the twin sound and it is just plain sexy :)
:iamwithst

I almost bought a 748 before deciding on the R1. Someday I would love a 999. :bow So sexy! Sometimes it's not about the speed. The R1 has more power than I need as it is.

Eric
 

·
WUZ-UP !
Joined
·
4,367 Posts
ok...........Maintenance............996/998 is an awesome bike.........but not as reliable as the one
 
1 - 20 of 64 Posts
Top