Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Contour GPS camera.

2K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  JPL_R1 
#1 · (Edited)
Product Review.

I just purchased and tested the Contour GPS camera this week. I did some research on Youtube after seeing an ad for the new Contour GPS. I like the idea of seeing your location, speed, elevation, and trace on Google map.

My setup: (see attachment below). I decided to go with the steering stem mount so the camera could stay behind the windscreen, protecting it from excessive wind, rain, bugs, etc.

Test ride: Here's the link: http://contour.com/stories/yamaha-r1-jpl_r1 You can judge for yourself the quality of the picture, sound, features, etc.

Extras: Contour GPS also has Bluetooth and a free app that allows your Android or iphone to connect to your camera remotely. This is a great tool for aligning the camera before recording. The live feed is not the best picture and it's a little choppy, but it much better than guessing. You can also change all your video settings on both modes (the camera comes with mode 1 and mode 2 that can be set to default or custom).
This camera also has two alignment lazers to that come on for a few seconds when powering on the camera to help with video alignment.
You can rotate the lense 180 degrees (i.e. camera is mounted at an angle or on it's side you can still record level video.)

Programs: Contour offers their Storyteller program that inserts a map with your trace, speed, and elevation using Google maps.
You can buy a program called Dashware that inserts the same info seperate from Contours website. I have not used Dashware but I'm told you can get a free trial version, you can see examples on Youtube.

Pros: GPS features, mobile app, size, customer support,

Cons: Required programs such as quicktime, formatting of SD card, updating firmware, picture could be better at 1080i setting IMO, mic. too sensitive (sound distorts at high decible).

Mount setup: My steering stem mount was ordered from RAM mounts and gets the job done, but if you go with this setup you will need the Universal mount.

So far I like this camera, the main selling points for me is the GPS and Bluetooth. I'll update with better video soon.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
First real test on my week long ride in Southern California.

Review update: I noticed that the power button on the camera is tricky and not easy to operate while riding. I had to hold down the button till it beeps, both lights on the back flash once, and the front green light starts flashing. A few times I hit the button thinking it was on and getting no video. I was turning off the camera after every recording session to save battery life. Also had issues with my spare battery, seems it wont hold a charge after the first time using it. I'm hoping I don't run into more battery issues. I'll post up new videos in the future and keep you updated.

ZX10-R Vs. R1 Chase video up Mt. Palomar: http://contour.com/stories/r1-vs-zx10-r-chase-at-mt-palomar

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.