Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Convert 15-19 R1 to 2020

12K views 40 replies 11 participants last post by  gsribhud 
#1 ·
Has anyone converted their fairings from 15-19 to the new 2020 setup? Interested to know much of a hassle is it.

Thank you

#14 ·
Wow that 2016 is super nice!
I just received my track fairings and struggled to make the decision if I should have gotten the 2020 version for my 2016. I decided to go the traditional route and get the 15-19 fairings. My friend that has a 2020 r1 is experiencing fitment problems with the Graves frame sliders and the fairings. The 2020's go closer to the part of the frame that the sliders mount to.
Green Art Automotive exterior Vehicle Modern art
Automotive exterior Auto part Vehicle Automotive lighting Tire

#17 ·
Wow that 2016 is super nice!
I just received my track fairings and struggled to make the decision if I should have gotten the 2020 version for my 2016. I decided to go the traditional route and get the 15-19 fairings. My friend that has a 2020 r1 is experiencing fitment problems with the Graves frame sliders and the fairings. The 2020's go closer to the part of the frame that the sliders mount to.
I don't have sliders on, so I couldn't comment on the fitment between the two fairing styles

#15 ·
@ramocs I would appreciate some help with these questions:

what tank cover are you sing ( part that covers sides where you grip with legs)?

Does CRS offer thicker seat foam?
I have long legs (34 inseam), need to sit higher. Or what is your inseam? is the standard height CRC seat pad working for ya?

#16 · (Edited)
@ramocs I would appreciate some help with these questions:

what tank cover are you sing ( part that covers sides where you grip with legs)?

Does CRS offer thicker seat foam?
I have long legs (34 inseam), need to sit higher. Or what is your inseam? is the standard height CRC seat pad working for ya?
I'm not using the tail\seat section from CRC. I went with one that's made by the same company that makes the subframe I got. I haven't used a CRC seat yet, but from what I've seen in person, they do look to be fairly tall. The tank\side covers are from Lacomoto

#31 ·
Let’s bring this thread back from the dead!

So to be 100% clear, all I need is this part number B3L-2838N-00-00 , and a 2020 windshield, and I can use any brand race bodywork?
Has anyone else done this successfully using CRC fairings? Also with a brand other than CRC?
Is there another thread about this same topic? Can’t find one.

#32 ·
Anyone know if the previous post is accurate?

I'm doing the same mod, but with armour bodies and dbholder fairing stay. But if the fairing stay is not necessary..., and this will work with just that rubber piece, please someone chime in.
Really do not want to relocate or mod all those OEM components on the OEM stay (sensors, flapper, flapper motor, vacuum lines, etc) if I don't have to.

#33 ·
I was able to get the 2020+ body on my 2018. I did not use the rubber piece mentioned here because the kit that I bought came with a piece for the front to make the conversion possible. I did not need the dbholder upper stay or anything else. Based on my experience, I would venture to say that you can use any brand bodywork with the part mentioned on this thread. It was very straight forward.

#36 ·
Yes, for sure, race plastics.
Im not familiar with any fuel line mod for these bikes. I also couldn’t find a sticky thread mentioning it. The only thread about a fuel line mod I found was for the generation before the 15+. If you want to link it, I could have a look, though I can’t promise I’d be much help. Haha

#37 ·
Just noticed the post originated in 2011, so prob not applicable. But here’s the link

#39 ·
Just noticed the post originated in 2011, so prob not applicable. But here’s the link

Just an FYI, I found my 2015 had a kinked fuel line. It is quite possible to kink the fuel line if you don’t set the tank correctly, it’s just a little more difficult to do on the 15-22 vs the 09-14. Still possible tho. I believe I posted on that thread that my 2015 was kinked. I’ve since used the same mod to fix my 2015 and it’s flawless.

#38 ·
Oh yeah. For sure not intended for our generation bike. It might be worth doing if you’re having that sort of issue with the kinking.
But to speak to your other comment regarding “common/recommended mods for this gen” when track prepping, the go to mods generally have to do with some sort of QS with auto-blip for the 15-17 years, an ECU flash reducing the engine temp for fan kick on, reducing engine braking, etc.
I suggest that if you’re using a mail-in flashing service, ask them to not mess around with your fueling ratios and only do the other good stuff. For fueling changes, get an auto-tuner, or go to a reputable person/shop with a dyno and have them do it custom to your bike.

#40 ·
@Gearheaded, Yeah man, great info. Think I just read your post on the kinked line. Will def look into the mod while she's torn apart.

@Agile Toad, completely agree. Been talking to Freddy at SBU about the flash and other mods. Going to stick with their basic flash setup for now. Regarding the AB, leaning towards the FT instead of the translogic.

Also wondering if the common "flapper mod" is a thing with this bike (in the intake duct). Haven't had a chance to research it. Wondering because I MAY have to install an aftermarket fairing stay (to mount my 2020 plastics), that has its own air duct and has no place for the flapper. But...was just told the OEM stay will work. So at this point, I have no idea which stay I'll be using.

I'm mostly concerned how the bike will run (cold), and other error codes after deleting the flapper and having the ECU flashed. Maybe there'll be no issues, and if there are, maybe it'll self heal like I keep hearing about lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.