Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Liquid Water Automotive tire Hood Fluid
I was running engine ice, then changed to water wetter for the first time, for a race I did. Today went to flush our my system to put Engine Ice back in. And it came out this white chalky stuff. Anyone know what it is could be? Maybe Calcium build up? The bike ran fine. Nothing wrong at all. Temps were low.

·
Registered
'08 r1
1,655 Posts
Probably silicates. Might have been a reaction between the two coolants that caused the water wetter to drop the silicates.

Flush well with 50/50 distilled water and white vinegar and chase with distilled water. I'd let the vinegar work overnight.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Probably silicates. Might have been a reaction between the two coolants that caused the water wetter to drop the silicates.

Flush well with 50/50 distilled water and white vinegar and chase with distilled water. I'd let the vinegar work overnight.
That's what I figured. Thanks I will do 50/50.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Plus you probably started with the factory coolant, so 3 different types of coolants. I'm not surprised something reacted!

There's usually about half a litre of coolant that stays in the system after you've drained it, so you need to flush it a couple of times to get the old stuff out.

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
119 Posts

Coolant w/ silicates bad, correct?

·
SuperbikeUnlimited.com
2,569 Posts
View attachment 1021150 I was running engine ice, then changed to water wetter for the first time, for a race I did. Today went to flush our my system to put Engine Ice back in. And it came out this white chalky stuff. Anyone know what it is could be? Maybe Calcium build up? The bike ran fine. Nothing wrong at all. Temps were low.
Looks like the clean up after I am done with @Gearheaded s ol lady

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'08 r1
1,655 Posts
Coolant w/ silicates bad, correct?
Most coolants contain them and it helps clean things and prevent corrosion.

On further reading engine ice and water wetter do not contain silicates. It looks like the op has had his cooling system oxidize. Likely from a reaction between the two coolants. The white vinegar will strip it though and if he chases it a few times with distilled he should be fine.

It's also worth mentioning running straight distilled will promote oxidation as well, so run some kind of coolant.

·
SuperbikeUnlimited.com
2,569 Posts
He’s lucky he’s funny… cause ugly mfers have a hard time getting chicks as it is. Or dudes in his case
I dont need to be good looking or funny. Your lady likes my 1400cc. Not your 125cc

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts