Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I got an 04 R1 with 20000kms on it, i just drained my oil today and there were about 12-15 little green bloaches. I assume they are coolant since nothing else is there and there were some metal fragments but i think thats just from normal wear and tear. it had about 4000 km on the oil, so anyways just wondering whats this is now going to cost me..... :( if it is coolant I would assume that means the head gasket is leaking a little bit, so if it is actually leaking ......... how much would it cost to repair a head gasket.

As well i was having that TPS issue all in one bloody weak. Im thinking its time to get rid of this thing soon :cryin but ill see how it goes and how much this will cost me.
cheers,
-Neil

·
performance first
2,940 Posts
mar1tian said:
Hey guys I got an 04 R1 with 20000kms on it, i just drained my oil today and there were about 12-15 little green bloaches. I assume they are coolant since nothing else is there and there were some metal fragments but i think thats just from normal wear and tear. it had about 4000 km on the oil, so anyways just wondering whats this is now going to cost me..... :( if it is coolant I would assume that means the head gasket is leaking a little bit, so if it is actually leaking ......... how much would it cost to repair a head gasket.

As well i was having that TPS issue all in one bloody weak. Im thinking its time to get rid of this thing soon :cryin but ill see how it goes and how much this will cost me.
cheers,
-Neil
It is possible that the water pump seal is gone. Do not forget that the pump pumps oil on one side and coolant on the other side if the seal is blown one side could leak to the other and show up in the oil have the weater pump/oilpump checked.:D

·
El Assholio Supremo del Mundo
10,626 Posts
dont the new bikes come with the red coolant????

i thought they did now.....

and anytime i've seen any coolant or water into the oil, it turns the oil into a cloudy, milky white mess......

not sits in small independent lumps.....

·
Registered
351 Posts
R1Budha said:
dont the new bikes come with the red coolant????

i thought they did now.....

and anytime i've seen any coolant or water into the oil, it turns the oil into a cloudy, milky white mess......

not sits in small independent lumps.....
:iamwithst

It could have also came from your overflow hose which sits on the left side of the bike.......

·
Booya
34,490 Posts
Green...

Though i agree...it doesn't clump together..it mixes and makes a coudly mess. I bet you lost a little out of the over flow hose.

·
Booya
34,490 Posts
Eyespy said:
It doesn't "clump".
Well...not clump as in like milk gone bad...but stay together like...mercury or something. Saying it would mix together...unless i'm wrong.

·
Action figure sold separately
12,213 Posts
Sabian said:
Well...not clump as in like milk gone bad...but stay together like...mercury or something. Saying it would mix together...unless i'm wrong.
No, I'm agreeing with you.

·
Booya
34,490 Posts
Eyespy said:
Boy, turned that one right around! :D
Eh, its the internet....gotta take things in stride...

....most people are full of shit, including me and love to spread it around. Just goin with the flow. Easy to misunderstad something.

·
Booya
34,490 Posts
rufast said:
That's what I said:2bitchsla :lol
Just restating your all knowing ways. :)

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey guys thanks for the tips and help it is greatly appreciated, they are actually not mixed :dunno , just like little green rain drops in the oil. Like 12 or 15 like i said, not alot probably under a millilitre worth, im going to run the new oil for a week or so and then pull it and see if theres anymore. if so then ill start looking into seals and gaskets. thanks all

·
Action figure sold separately
12,213 Posts
Originally posted by mar1tian
Hey guys thanks for the tips and help it is greatly appreciated, they are actually not mixed :dunno , just like little green rain drops in the oil. Like 12 or 15 like i said, not alot probably under a millilitre worth, im going to run the new oil for a week or so and then pull it and see if theres anymore. if so then ill start looking into seals and gaskets. thanks all
What you are describing is not indicative or suggestive of a head gasket leak. Coolant smoke from the exhaust would be with a smaller leak, or a cracked cylinder if coolant flooding was occurring.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
my coolant needs to be changed anyways so while im at it ill check out all those plausible scenerios. But ya eyespy there is no indication in the exhaust that coolant is leaking .... never really thought of that till you mentioned it, which sort of relieves some anxiety. so water pump and overflow it is. As for coolant mixing ill check that out too while im at it, since i saved all of the oil, ill just take a bit and drop a few drops of coolant in it see how it reacts.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts